U.N. Wants Control of Internet

Personally, I don't consider Ike, Jack, or Gore to have created anything.  Particularly Gore...if he created anything, it was the legislation and policies that allowed a bunch of DARPA and DoD technology to be used in the public domain.

And just as there's a difference between inventing and creating, there's an even larger difference between creating a technical infrastructure, and creating policy.  No matter how thin you slice it, Gore's statement is still baloney.

382735[/snapback]

Thank you. I was around for the beginning of the "internet". At the time, it was basically a DoD email system. We had to have a mandatory class to get our authorization and addresses to use it. It would have evolved, of course, but I agree, Al Gore didn't invent it. He just saw to it that several millions in taxpayer funding got turned over to certain people. Would have happened anyway, just greased the skids.

I love the way that Al Gore is constantly bashed for claiming to invent the Internet when he never did. Typical conservative M.O. - take something out of context, repeat it enough times and it becomes "fact". So much "fact" that nobody ever bothers to look into it themselves.

Gore said the following:

During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.

He claimes he fostered the creation of the Internet, not that he invented it. Self-serving yes, claiming credit for a major technological invention no. Creation does not equal inventing.

Gore no more "invented" the Internet than Ike "invented" the interstate highway system.

Complete Link

382662[/snapback]

He may have invented it; but I pioneered it.

my mom was born in March of 48 :w00t:

the time differece between roswell and her birthday has been a running joke between us for a while :P

Well, it's a running joke on everyone who's born in March '48. But I think it's more funny about a politician who looks stiff and uncomfortable in his 'human suit'.

Oh yeah, the thread topic - the idea of the UN taking control of the internet (and their justification of it) is one of the worst BS ideas I've ever heard. Any other successful aspects of US industry, economy, or military we should hand over while we're at it? Idiots. Like I needed another reason the UN can KMA.