OT: Lenny P give Todd Collins some props ...

"Linky

"In his seven seasons as a Kansas City Chiefs backup quarterback, Todd Collins has appeared in only 11 games, none of them as a starter.

Fact is the 10-year veteran hasn't started a regular-season contest since Dec. 7, 1997, when he was with the Buffalo Bills. Since joining the Chiefs in '98, when he was claimed on waivers in late August, the former second-round draft pick, who had a three-year dry spell (1998-2000) in which he didn't register even one regular-season appearance, has thrown but 27 passes, and completed 18 of those attempts, just one for a touchdown.

More than statistics, though, Collins, who actually started 13 games for the Bills in 1997, has provided Kansas City a prized commodity that is sorely lacking around the NFL at the critical No. 2 quarterback position: Stability.

A proven backup who knows the offense, knows the ropes and understands and accepts his second banana role on the depth chart isn't quite as easy a job description to fill as some observers might think. That is why Collins, at age 33 and probably in store for another year of inactivity, certainly does not lack for respect from his bosses and from his teammates.

"It's always reassuring to know there is a veteran like Todd behind you," acknowledged Chiefs starter Trent Green. "He's a pretty nice safety net."

I'm sure Trent likes having TC as his backup is because he knows no matter how bad a day he is having throwing the ball, he's on an extremely long LEASH, because to bring in TC would be tanamount to condeding defeat .... :devil:

<FDR>

December 7th, 1997.  A date which will live in infamy

</FDR>

377603[/snapback]

I think that might've been when we played the Jags in Rich... If so, I was at that game, and he was benched for AVP later in the game (AVP sucked just as badly...)

CW

I think that might've been when we played the Jags in Rich...  If so, I was at that game, and he was benched for AVP later in the game (AVP sucked just as badly...)

CW

377604[/snapback]

It was actually the week prior, on the road in Chicago. We lost the game 20-3.

Damn, must be a slow news day if Lenny P is resorting to writing about an old, backup QB who hardly sees the field.

Stability? That's great, as long as he doesn't have to get on the field. Then they're screwed.

If he's going to praise Todd Collins for all he's done for the Chiefs bench, he should do an article on the stability that Gale Gilbert brought to the Bills in the Super Bowl years.

377620[/snapback]

Didn't he go to San Diego and end up losing five straight?

I think that might've been when we played the Jags in Rich...  If so, I was at that game, and he was benched for AVP later in the game (AVP sucked just as badly...)

CW

377604[/snapback]

The guy sitting next to me at that game was so pi$$ed at Collins he broke his radio and swore he'd never see another Bills game until Collins was gone. I've seen alot of fans get frustrated at players but I've never seen anyone get that angry.

Good old Todd...

The guy sitting next to me at that game was so pi$$ed at Collins he broke his radio and swore he'd never see another Bills game until Collins was gone.  I've seen alot of fans get frustrated at players but I've never seen anyone get that angry.

Good old Todd...

377655[/snapback]

i don't think that fan was the only one frusted with Collins

i recall a MNF game TC started (one of the last Bills MNF games i can actually remember :devil:). TC burned a timeout when he didn't really have to and i remember the look on Bruce's face. It was like those Baaaaaad Things Man commercials from the early 90s with Dennis Hopper