Bills want a conditional 2nd for Travis

Okay, here's the best I could come up with:

Today, they talked with Jaguars Play-by-Play man Brian Sexton who got right to the point. When asked if he thought that Jacksonville was going to trade for Henry he said simply, "Yes."

Sexton went on to say that the Jags like his style of running and his cap number, not to mention that his performance will be pushed by him being in the final year of a contract, so he would be surprised if they didn't make a move on him.

Sexton added, "The main hold up is that Tom Donahoe wants a compensation pick if Henry reaches a certain yardage mark for the season. They'll squawk about it for a while then get it done the first week of training camp because the Jags can't have any confidence in Taylor."

http://www.wgr550.com/bills/fullstory.php?id=0937

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet. I hope this turns out to be true and hats off to TD if the final input is a 3rd and conditional 2nd.

I think that just a 3rd straight-up would be a great deal, considering the market this year and what was offered for him just a few months ago (a 5th rounder, IIRC). Having it upgrade to a 2nd would be gravy, and depending on the performance levels and health, Travis could very possibly get it for the Bills. It's also good for Travis because he goes back to Florida, plays on grass, and basically becomes the de facto starter, since I think that Taylor is pretty much done.

I think that just a 3rd straight-up would be a great deal, considering the market this year and what was offered for him just a few months ago (a 5th rounder, IIRC).  Having it upgrade to a 2nd would be gravy, and depending on the performance levels and health, Travis could very possibly get it for the Bills.  It's also good for Travis because he goes back to Florida, plays on grass, and basically becomes the de facto starter, since I think that Taylor is pretty much done.

377982[/snapback]

If the deal went down this way i would be torn between wanting TH to do well to hit the targets which got us the the 2nd and wanting him to blow so the hated Jags (who are roughly the Bills level of "almost" achievement) do poorly.

Ultimately I will probably root for TH to do well some weeks (against other East Division rivals but to merely start and/or pick-up yards in a losing cause for other games.

I guess the real acid test will be whether those who have badmouthing TH on TSW will switch to rooting for him to pick up yards cause it helps the Bills.

That's a given, and it will at least be a higher pick than was offered at draft time.  Even the Travis haters have begrudgingly come to that conclusion.

379289[/snapback]

He'd look kinda funny in one of those little green sprout Seahawks unis. <_<

That's a given, and it will at least be a higher pick than was offered at draft time.  Even the Travis haters have begrudgingly come to that conclusion.

379289[/snapback]

I am not a Travis hater, but I have always said and maintained a 4th or a 5th is all we will get for him. I still feel that way. Oh and even if we get a third it will be one draft later and everyone here said a 3rd next year is like a 4th this year. <_<

I am not a Travis hater, but I have always said and maintained a 4th or a 5th is all we will get for him.  I still feel that way.  Oh and even if we get a third it will be one draft later and everyone here said a 3rd next year is like a 4th this year.  :P

379291[/snapback]

LOOK! It's the little green pickle juice guy. <_<

I am not a Travis hater, but I have always said and maintained a 4th or a 5th is all we will get for him.  I still feel that way.  Oh and even if we get a third it will be one draft later and everyone here said a 3rd next year is like a 4th this year.  <_<

The Bills will get AT LEAST a 3rd rounder for him, with the possibility of it upgrading to a 2nd. And a 3rd next year is worth a 1st THIS past draft, given how weak it was and how much stronger next year's will be.

379289[/snapback]

If you mean me, I don't remember coming to this conclusion.

I agree with VA, and will add the following....if TD cannot get the pick that he wants (and unlike others, I don't claim to know what he truly would accept), I think that he will cut him before he lets another GM "get over" on him.

Either way, TH is gone.

Jmo.

The Bills will get AT LEAST a 3rd rounder for him, with the possibility of it upgrading to a 2nd.  And a 3rd next year is worth a 1st THIS past draft, given how weak it was and how much stronger next year's will be.

379296[/snapback]

You're funny, before the draft everyone said we needed to get a 1st or 2nd worst case. If we didn't and had to wait then a 1st next year would have only equaled a 2nd. Now you're saying a 3rd equals a first.

Damn is your name John Kerry? <_<

If you mean me, I don't remember coming to this conclusion.

I agree with VA, and will add the following....if TD cannot get the pick that he wants (and unlike others, I don't claim to know what he truly would accept), I think that he will cut him before he lets another GM "get over" on him.

Either way, TH is gone.

Jmo.

Cutting Travis would BE letting another GM "get over" on him, which is why it won't happen. He'll keep Travis on the 53-man roster, make him inactive the 1st 8 weeks, and then watch him report for the final 8 weeks. Then when he's gone in UFA, the Bills might get a comp pick for him in the 2007 draft. But when Travis hits the market in 2006, those teams that were looking at him THIS year (AZ, Titans, and Jax), will have to compete for his services as an UFA, and he likely won't even talk to them considering they didn't trade for him when they got a chance, given his recent actions.

You're funny, before the draft everyone said we needed to get a 1st or 2nd worst case.  If we didn't and had to wait then a 1st next year would have only equaled a 2nd.  Now you're saying a 3rd equals a first. 

Damn is your name John Kerry?  <_<

379306[/snapback]

Don't forget Jayson Taylor, Robert Gallery, or the post which claimed that a 1st "wasn't enough." :P

You're funny, before the draft everyone said we needed to get a 1st or 2nd worst case.  If we didn't and had to wait then a 1st next year would have only equaled a 2nd.  Now you're saying a 3rd equals a first.

First of all, the "3rd equals a 1st" was me being facetious. Sorry I didn't raise my hand to indicate that. But yes a 3rd next draft would be worth more than a 3rd in this past draft, again given the weakness of this past draft. And second of all, no one said prior to the draft that the Bills would get a 1st for Travis, and a 2nd is still a possibility if the rumors about a conditional 2nd are true.

Cutting Travis would BE letting another GM "get over" on him, which is why it won't happen.  He'll keep Travis on the 53-man roster, make him inactive the 1st 8 weeks, and then watch him report for the final 8 weeks.  Then when he's gone in UFA, the Bills might get a comp pick for him in the 2007 draft.  But when Travis hits the market in 2006, those teams that were looking at him THIS year (AZ, Titans, and Jax), will have to compete for his services as an UFA, and he likely won't even talk to them considering they didn't trade for him when they got a chance, given his recent actions.

379314[/snapback]

MBD, there are different ways to look at it, no?

For example, let's say for the sake of arguement that the best TH could bring was a 5th. TD might choose to cut him rather than to let a fellow GM, in his mind, "get over" on him. This same opposing GM who offered the 5th could lose TH to another team if he was cut and a UFA.

I make the case that GMs are in constant competition, and can never appear to be weak. I think that TD would at least possibly sacrifice a pick that he deems non-worthy if taking a late round pick would make him appear to be a GM who "caves" in front of his peers. GMs need to look ahead at the next possible trade, often with the same peers.

That said, I am utterly convinced that TH will NOT be on the Bills this season.

Do you see where I am going? My theory isn't easy to explain on a message board. <_<