Greg Paulus

JoeF

I have not actually seen Paulus play, but I did hear around the McD AA time this past spring that there is no way he would have been an AA if it weren't for the very weak class of 05. Take that FWIW, and I am a Wake fan, so I may have been reading some wishful thinking over on our board.

I am not anticipating him being anything special, certainly not on someone like J Williams level. I'm sure he will be a solid player like the rest of their team.

I did live in North Carolina for a while - long enough to understand the "Carolina Blue" Kool-Aid that most of you drink.  That's why I could basically predict the anti-Duke arguments that are so incorrect.

365396[/snapback]

Look...Coach K aka "Rat Boy" is great a what he does...that is a fact. I just don't agree about how he does it. He has his head so far up his @ss that he has to have a whole floor just for his office. I liken him to Dark Sidious on Star Wars.

I have not actually seen Paulus play, but I did hear around the McD AA time this past spring that there is no way he would have been an AA if it weren't for the very weak class of 05.  Take that FWIW, and I am a Wake fan, so I may have been reading some wishful thinking over on our board.

I am not anticipating him being anything special, certainly not on someone like J Williams level.  I'm sure he will be a solid player like the rest of their team.

365446[/snapback]

Thank you. This is my point, Coach K will over recruit this guy in a year maybe two. Paulus will be a non-factor by his senior year. Much like Shav would have been if Coach K didn't force him to leave.

Thank you. This is my point Coach K will over recruit this guy in a year maybe two. Paulus will be a non-factor by his senior year. Much like Shav would have been if Coach K didn't force him to leave.

365456[/snapback]

Some perspective from a Duke alumnus:

Duke will continue to recruit and sign good players, including guards. With everyone turning pro early (like Luol Deng after 1 year and Shawn Livingston -- a point guard, btw -- after zero years), Duke, UNC and the other elite programs have no choice. However, if Paulus is a good player, practices hard, plays good D, etc. he will play a lot as long as he is there. Certainly no one would say Bobby Hurley was a non-factor by his senior year, and Jason Williams would have played 38-40 min per game as a senior had he come back.

Since we're on TBD, I'll go so far as to compare Paulus to JP -- regardless of how he played in HS (and I've never seen him play), no one really has any idea of how he'll do at the next level. And we won't know until at least halfway through the first year.

As far as Shavlik Randolph, he is a nice kid who can't get out of his own way on the court. But it is ridiculous to say he was forced to leave -- esp. since he has already said he's probably coming back. He came out for the draft in order to attend the NBA workouts and see what he needs to work on in order to play professionally (answer: keeping his head in the game and averaging less than one foul per minute).

I can't dispute that UNC's alumni make better pros than Duke's, Joe Forte notwithstanding. However, a number of Duke alumni (Hurley, Williams, Johnny Dawkins) have suffered freakish injuries that have prevented seemingly promising careers from taking off. I would also point out that UNC's greater NBA production makes the achievements of the Duke teams at the NCAA level all the more remarkable.

Finally, Coach K is a rock. I have had the privilege of meeting him a couple of times and I can say without reservation that I would entrust my son to him. None of the players that have transferred or turned pro early has anything bad to say about him -- and guys like Elton Brand and Deng have remarked wistfully that they really missed out on great things by leaving. FYI, he is donating the proceeds of the Amex commercials to charity -- a fact that Bill Simmons mentioned in a sports guy column.