Favorite NFL Podcasts: 1 Bills related & 1 NFL related

(Sorry... this may or may not belong in Off the Wall)

Is it an age thing? I don't think I can listen to anything but podcasts at this point.

When I listen to music, it's just music I know that I create as Playlists on Pandora.

My non-football podcasts are now down to Throughline and Freakanomics.

Most of my podcasts are Bills/NFL related, though.

Bruce Nolan and The Bruce Exclusive was my absolute favorite Bills podcast... but like right before the draft Buffalo Rumblings went kaput and he lost his platform. Even when he was on, it was only once a week for less than an hour... so not remotely time consuming.

Which means I guess I would say Joe Marino's Locked on Bills is my favorite now.

I have my gripes... primarily I just think he’s incredibly Robotic and lacks any real personality (unlike Bruce Nolan), but he tries to pretend like he has a lot of personality and he 100% knows his football with a background in scouting. He also has a daily podcast and comes up with pretty good ideas for them every day (the opposite of this would be Pat Moran's Talking Buffalo podcast, which just has a lot of useless, unentertaining time) and so I can say I legitimately listen to pretty much every episode.

As for non-football podcasts, The Athletic Football Show with Robert Mayes as host (Nate Tice left just a couple weeks ago) is 100% by far the best sports (and maybe any???) podcast I've listened to. It airs 3 or 4 days a week and every show is informative and entertaining, even if it's non-Bills related. I just listened to a 90 minute podcast about the lingering questions of the NFC East and made it from beginning to end without the desire to turn it off. Mayes is a fun, knowledgeable, funny host who brings good guests on. I miss Tice, but the show hasn't missed a beat.

There's also an Athletic Football show GM podcast hosted by Mike Sando featuring Randy Mueller. It's not as good but I listen to it and find it interesting and sometimes informative. Sando does a great job but Mueller has some bizarre takes sometimes... almost like he stopped watching football 15-20 years ago.

A very close 2nd for the non-football podcast to listen to is The Mina Kimes show (featuring Lenny). She's an awesome host. Everything I said about Mayes applies to her. I understand there may be some bias one way or another since she's on TV, but she's really created an excellent listen for all the reasons The Athletic Football Show is. Only problem is that her's is only once or twice a week.

How about you guys?

Locked on Bills is probably the best one as it is available every day and the topics are fairly interesting.  I do agree that his format is robotic especially filled a lot with facts and figures and less about opinions.  A lot of the drive of the show comes from listing out the numbers and then comprehending them with his analysis. The show does lack that emotional aspect. 

The show is perfect for putting it on and going for a run or a drive to work. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1