Batman returns...great movie!

The movie was ok.  It lacked one thing...Tim Burton.  The first batman with keaton was far better than this latest installment and if they do remake the original batman they wont get my buck (or ten) because it is an all-time classic

361569[/snapback]

I watched the Tim Burton Batman the night before seeing Batman Begins. To my surprise, it still holds up well, and I did not realize how many of the lines and scenes I knew from memory. With that said, Batman Begins is a much better representation of what I wanted to see in a Batman movie. As others have said, the other movies spent more time on the villians. This movie does justice to Bruce Wayne, and sets things up in a much more believable world. Tim Burton's movie was set in a comic book world, which is fine, but Batman Begins takes it to the real world where you think maybe this is possible.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen BATMAN BEGINS now, too, and I also think it was positively incredible. One of the best films I've seen in years, which isn't something I would typically award a superhero movie!

Honestly, it's a great film, and I think the best comparison is to 1978's SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, which I'd consider the last great superhero movie (maybe SPIDER-MAN 2 would be up there, I don't know). They both tell really good - and more importantly, interesting - origin stories and certainly represent the character on screen as they should.

Highly recommended from me.

Here's some responses to a couple of points that people brought up earlier in the thread:

-For some reason, a complaint seems to be that the film lacks humor. I thought the film had more humor than the previous movies, but the humor wasn't cheap or cheesy; instead, it was classy, subtle humor. I laughed quite a bit at the newspaper headline at the end.

-As was stated before, BATMAN BEGINS completely ignores the previous four films. This is not a remake nor a reimagining, it's a Batman movie that's actually about Bruce Wayne/Batman. Although I liked BATMAN 89 and moreso BATMAN RETURNS, neither film cared at all about the title character (which was better in RETURNS, in my opinion, because that film was honest about it's disdain for the title character and focused on the Penguin the entire time). BATMAN 89 really should've been titled JOKER. And that Alexander Knox character? Awful. You want to talk about Jar Jar Binks characters...

-I actually didn't mind Katie Holmes' character. She wasn't even really a love interest except for the obligatory kiss at the end, she was more like his only true friend from before his parents' murder. Not to mention she actually served a real purpose instead of just being "the girl" - I really liked how she taught Wayne about the justice/revenge thing.

-Someone earlier thought that the film's idea of making Bruce feel responsible for his parents' death was stupid (from what I understand, in the comics the family simply sees The Mark of Zorro and leaves and they get shot; in the film, young Bruce gets scared because there are bat-like characters in the opera and asks them to step outside and then they get murdered, which works a million times better, I think).

Sorry for the kind-of-long post, but I just thought you guys ought to know what I discovered: Even if you generally don't like superheroes, comic books, or Batman - actually, especially if you generally don't like those things - go see this film. First class all the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw Batman Begins last night and it was incredible. One of the best summer movies I've ever seen (we'll see how it holds up to repeat viewings but....DAMN!).

This movie was so good that there was a point about halfway through where I already wanted to see it again!

Bale was awesome. The supporting cast - Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Rutger Hauer, Gary Oldman - was incredible.

Scarecrow, even though he wasn't a central focus of the movie, was way cool.

One last spoiler thing. Highlight below:

Oh and the last scene with the Joker cameo was so cool I almost wet my pants.

Just saw Batman Begins last night and it was incredible.  One of the best summer movies I've ever seen (we'll see how it holds up to repeat viewings but....DAMN!).

This movie was so good that there was a point about halfway through where I already wanted to see it again!

Bale was awesome.  The supporting cast - Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Rutger Hauer, Gary Oldman - was incredible.

Scarecrow, even though he wasn't a central focus of the movie, was way cool.

One last spoiler thing.  Highlight below:

Oh and the last scene with the Joker cameo was so cool I almost wet my pants.

372072[/snapback]

If you like Bale and would like to rent an EXCELLENT movie that he starred in, get EQUILIBRIUM!!!! It's a cross between The Matrix and 1984!

The movie flopped at the box office, therefore it snuck under most peoples radar...

Get it!

2.  Ra's Al Guhl didn't "teach" Bruce to overcome his fear and all that other crap.  I see why they did it, but I just think that it gives "The League of Shadows" (league of assasins in the comics by the way) too much credit for the making of the Batman.  Being told to "become the night" and turn the fear against the criminals, etc... Batman didn't get those ideas from Ra's.  Batman is an extremely intelligent kick ass character and I think they gave other people too much credit for his "creation"

3.  Bruce thinks his parents died because "he made them leave the opera"... again because of his fear of bats.  WHATEVER... I think this is an un-neccessary change.  and I HATE when Hollywood changes things important to the original character for no good reason.  Again, I understand what they were doing with the entire movie, but I think they changed this for no reason.  If they were going to use it to have Bruce vow at his parents grave to avenge their deaths or "take back the night" or whatever, I could deal a little better... but they didn't even do that.

360000[/snapback]

I thought it was a good, but flawed, movie, for reasons that relate to the two items above. All the psychological pshcyobabble concerning the nature and mastery of fear could have been much better explored...and it seemed to me it was originally intended to be so until marketers demanded that the movie be cut down to 2:10. I still can't shake the feeling that about 20 minutes of film were left on the cutting room floor that would have made this movie very good...and I hope they restore that 20 minutes on the DVD.

I thought it was a good, but flawed, movie, for reasons that relate to the two items above.  All the psychological pshcyobabble concerning the nature and mastery of fear could have been much better explored...and it seemed to me it was originally intended to be so until marketers demanded that the movie be cut down to 2:10.  I still can't shake the feeling that about 20 minutes of film were left on the cutting room floor that would have made this movie very good...and I hope they restore that 20 minutes on the DVD.

372136[/snapback]

If they couldn't come to a point in 2 hours and 10 minutes, what would an extra 20 minutes of cheesy lines accomplish?

I thought it was a good, but flawed, movie, for reasons that relate to the two items above.  All the psychological pshcyobabble concerning the nature and mastery of fear could have been much better explored...and it seemed to me it was originally intended to be so until marketers demanded that the movie be cut down to 2:10.  I still can't shake the feeling that about 20 minutes of film were left on the cutting room floor that would have made this movie very good...and I hope they restore that 20 minutes on the DVD.

372136[/snapback]

The movie pretty much was word for word the first draft of Goyer and Nolan's initial script. I would be shocked if there is much, if anything, on the cutting room floor.

There certainly wasn't anything more in the script. (however, I only read a first draft, not the shooting draft).

You're joking right? You don't think they will redo the villians?

359895[/snapback]

i have an idea for a new Batman villain. Some middle aged chick named Holly Woodexec. She doesn't have any real evil plots, so she just borrows the Joker's, Mr Freeze, and Riddlers ideas

DING! Box Office Gold