90s NHL

BillsPride12

I watched the Jaromir Jagr jersey retirement game last night and all of the clips and highlight videos brought back so many memories of the NHL I grew up watching.  Those Pens teams with Mario and Jagr.  The Red Wings teams with Yzerman, Federov and Shanahan competing against the Avs teams with Sakic and Forsberg.  The tail end of Gretzky's career.  The scrappy hardest working team in hockey Sabres teams.  Hasek, Roy, Brodeur.  The Legion of Doom with Eric Lindros.  The crowds were so much more passionate and exciting.  I miss when the NHL used to look like this but also feel so grateful this is the NHL I grew up on.

One of my best friends from childhood was the biggest hockey/Sabres fan I knew.  He used to watch all 82 games of the season every year and we got together a few years ago to catch up and I was sad to find out he doesn't even follow the NHL at all anymore.  

I think the same could be said about all sports being better in the 90's. We spent hours Saturday night at camp talking about random ***** that happened in sports when we were kids. (Old man Nolan Ryan beating the ***** out of Ventura, Hard sliding into 2b, running backs like Barry Sanders, etc).The best part about it, was 4 of our kids were there listening and into every story. My son (12) went home and told his mom that was the best camp trip yet. Unfortunately, he then told her he knows the difference between a lintel and a chick pea. Still working on the what happens at camp stays at camp theory. 

2 hours ago, Sundo91 said:

I think the same could be said about all sports being better in the 90's. We spent hours Saturday night at camp talking about random ***** that happened in sports when we were kids. (Old man Nolan Ryan beating the ***** out of Ventura, Hard sliding into 2b, running backs like Barry Sanders, etc).The best part about it, was 4 of our kids were there listening and into every story. My son (12) went home and told his mom that was the best camp trip yet. Unfortunately, he then told her he knows the difference between a lintel and a chick pea. Still working on the what happens at camp stays at camp theory. 

Yeah although my post was focused on the NHL because of watching the Jagr ceremony last night I completely agree it's across the board with all leagues.  I have already completely tuned the NBA out and each passing year my interest in the NFL goes down.  It's a shame because I have always been a big sports fan but I could see myself becoming just a casual observer someday at this rate.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.