Why is it that only...

I'll refrain from commenting on the stupidity of allowing 125 just-graduated 18-year olds to go to a tropical island with only 7 chaperones....

But I have to wonder, where is the coverage of the men who go missing...or the homely women who go missing...or the women (and men) who are unfortunate enough to go missing under unremarkable circumstances?

I guess otherwise we'd have to read about mundane rapes, robberies and homicides but...sorry as I feel for this girl and her family I can't help but think of the hundreds of other families we AREN'T hearing about, who are perhaps fighting to get the word out about their loved one...after all the best way to find a missing person is to make sure as many people as possible know about it (hence the Amber Alert).

I suppose I expect too much from today's media...but I can remember the day when the media performed a useful service instead of just making empty noise. If one didn't know better, one would think that only pretty white girls disappeared. Or perhaps the media thinks we're all so shallow we'd only care about pretty white girls' disappearance.

I pray for her family and the families of all those missing.

Sadly, it's marketing. You should know something about that. If Laci Peterson were black and fat, you never would have heard of her.

Something going on since advertising. Sex sells...even if it's a tragedy.

This is kind of an old, lame argument for you, isn't it? sort of beating the dead horse?

Oh...wait...

I'll refrain from commenting on the stupidity of allowing 125 just-graduated 18-year olds to go to a tropical island with only 7 chaperones....

But I have to wonder, where is the coverage of the men who go missing...or the homely women who go missing...or the women (and men) who are unfortunate enough to go missing under unremarkable circumstances?

I guess otherwise we'd have to read about mundane rapes, robberies and homicides but...sorry as I feel for this girl and her family I can't help but think of the hundreds of other families we AREN'T hearing about, who are perhaps fighting to get the word out about their loved one...after all the best way to find a missing person is to make sure as many people as possible know about it (hence the Amber Alert).

I suppose I expect too much from today's media...but I can remember the day when the media performed a useful service instead of just making empty noise.  If one didn't know better, one would think that only pretty white girls disappeared.  Or perhaps the media thinks we're all so shallow we'd only care about pretty white girls' disappearance.

I pray for her family and the families of all those missing.

356149[/snapback]

Mark this down as one of the few times I agree with you.

I feel terrible for this girl's family but it seems only the "beautiful people" are put on the news.

It's the big news story of the week.  In a week or two somebody will see the virgin mary on a hot pocket, and everybody will forget about missing people.

356214[/snapback]

Did you say Hot Pockets? DING! Cya later, gotta watch my American Idol reruns!

GO CLAY!

Did you say Hot Pockets?  DING!  Cya later,  gotta watch my American Idol reruns!

GO CLAY!

356217[/snapback]

I'm glad someone is focusing. :flirt:

We'll be lucky to make another 20 years.

Unless, you let some old grumpy white guys just do stuff, and leave us alone.

I'm glad someone is focusing.  :flirt:

We'll be lucky to make another 20 years.

Unless, you let some old grumpy white guys just do stuff, and leave us alone.

356226[/snapback]

I hate that Ruben Studdard.

Now what were you saying about the mainstream media and its slant towards coverage of people who are considered "attractive" to the majority of its viewers (White folks ages 21-54)?

I hate that Ruben Studdard.

Now what were you saying about the mainstream media and its slant towards coverage of people who are considered "attractive" to the majority of its viewers (White folks ages 21-54)?

356228[/snapback]

I thought it was 18 - 35.

Sleep tight.

Ummm.....

Couple of things her. First off, if you are a rapist who are you going to go after a 300 pound sweaty women/man, or a 18 beautiful blond?

Secondly, and yes you do hear about black, hispanic, asian people being kidnapped and killed, but on percentage who do you think it is going to happen to the most. Probably a white person. When 70% of the population is white 7 out of 10 times it will be a white person.

Think about the averages.

Ooops sorry, 77.1% white

white 77.1%, black 12.9%, Asian 4.2%, Amerindian and Alaska native 1.5%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.3%, other 4% (2000)

note: a separate listing for Hispanic is not included because the US Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean a person of Latin American descent (including persons of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin) living in the US who may be of any race or ethnic group (white, black, Asian, etc.)

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html

Ergo, that is the reason most stories are about white people. Of course this ignores the fact that Michael Jackson has been on the front page for about 35 years now.

Ooops sorry, 77.1% white

white 77.1%, black 12.9%, Asian 4.2%, Amerindian and Alaska native 1.5%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.3%, other 4% (2000)

note: a separate listing for Hispanic is not included because the US Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean a person of Latin American descent (including persons of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin) living in the US who may be of any race or ethnic group (white, black, Asian, etc.)

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html

Ergo, that is the reason most stories are about white people.  Of course this ignores the fact that Michael Jackson has been on the front page for about 35 years now.

356276[/snapback]

Aw, leave Debbie alone. She only understands stats when it's a negative story about the Bush Administration.

FLIGHTSUIT!

Aw, leave Debbie alone.  She only understands stats when it's a negative story about the Bush Administration.

FLIGHTSUIT!

356282[/snapback]

I know, but I am in a pissed off mood over the general and abundant stupidity of nearly our entire population. I cannot believe just how blind and moronic people can be most of the time.

Aw, leave Debbie alone.  She only understands stats when it's a negative story about the Bush Administration.

356282[/snapback]

Not true. She only uses stats when it's a negative story about the Bush Administration.

It's a stretch to say she ever actually understands them.

NEOCON!!!!!