Got a semi scouting report on

MUTiger

My roomate's Dad is the owner of Pro Football Weekly and untill last year was the Radio Announcer for the Bears. He came into town last night and took us out to dinner. I asked him what he knew of Gandy and he said that the Bears Organization really liked Gandy but that he could never stay healthy. Hope thats not the case in Buffalo. He also said he is not a dominant player in either pass protection or run blocking but that he did a good enough job at both to be an effective starter in the league. I guess that sounded kind of encouraging to me but I still have my doubts about our LT situation. Anyway he pretty much had nothing but postive things to say about Gandy except for being an injury concern. I guess we will find out in September.

My roomate's Dad is the owner of Pro Football Weekly and untill last year was the Radio Announcer for the Bears.  He came into town last night and took us out to dinner.  I asked him what he knew of Gandy and he said that the Bears Organization really liked Gandy but that he could never stay healthy. Hope thats not the case in Buffalo.  He also said he is not a dominant player in either pass protection or run blocking but that he did a good enough job at both to be an effective starter in the league.  I guess that sounded kind of encouraging to me but I still have my doubts about our LT situation.  Anyway he pretty much had nothing but postive things to say about Gandy except for being an injury concern.  I guess we will find out in September.

Hub Arkush? Pretty good source.

As for Gandy, I've said it in other threads, but he had lousy coaching. He won't have that in Buffalo. The injuries are a concern, but the Bills have a pretty good training staff, and I doubt he'll be any more injured than Jonas, while a fraction of the cost.

Hub Arkush? Pretty good source.

Yep, he is a real nice guy and great person to talk football with. Plus he hooks it up free PFW stuff and always takes us out to dinner which is nice when you're a broke college kid.

Yep,  he is a real nice guy and great person to talk football with.  Plus he hooks it up free PFW stuff and always takes us out to dinner which is nice when you're a broke college kid.

Seemed like a nice guy when I used to see him on TV (on a weekly TV show with Tom Waddle and another ex-Bear, maybe Dan Hampton). Never had anything good to say about the Bills, though. They took a big hit once the internet got big and the loss of Joel Buschbaum. I used to look forward to their draft preview issues many years ago because that was the ONLY place you could find players' stats, although it only consisted of height, weight, speed, and overall grade (which was better than nothing).

Doesn't one of his other sons work for him at the mag? Maybe Hub Jr.?

I'm anxious to see how Gandy performs with a good O line coach like McNally. Gandy started 20 games for the Bears at LT, and another 10 at LG. He was a 3rd round pick out of Notre Dame, has decent size, and is only 26.

He also seems bright and motivated - a McNally-type player. I see a lot of upside if he can stay healthy.

I'm anxious to see how Gandy performs with a good O line coach like McNally. Gandy started 20 games for the Bears at LT, and another 10 at LG. He was a 3rd round pick out of Notre Dame, has decent size, and is only 26.

He also seems bright and motivated - a McNally-type player. I see a lot of upside if he can stay healthy.

My Lindy's from 2003 said that Gandy was "a pleasant surprise at LT" for the Bears. I think McNally can get a lot more out of him.