Shotgun vs Under Center

ngbills

There has been a lot of chatter on the board around being in the gun vs under center. I have been pushing to go under center more (especially when running the ball) and utilize the play action out of it. The eye test seems to support it but what do the numbers say after two games:

Rushing

Shotgun - 18 runs for 77 yards or 4.3 yards per and 0 TD 

Under Center - 39 runs for 203 yards or 5.2 yards per and 2 TD's

The Bills are averaging almost a yard more per attempt running from under center. And these numbers are likely skewed by more short yardage plays from under center (goal line and sneaks)

Passing

Shotgun - 27 of 38 or 71% for 192 yards (5.1 per attempt) with 1 TD and 3 Int (8% int rate). Passer rating of 58.

Under Cneter - 33 of 40 or 83% for 318 yards (8.0 per attempt) with 3 TD and 0 Int (0% int rate). Passer rating of 125

Wow. I knew there would be a difference but that is a huge difference. 

I know its only 2 games but both running and passing the team is playing much better under center. Is this Josh? Is it the personnel (new OL, new RB, more 2 TE)? Teams adjusting and knowing what the Bills are doing out of the gun? To me the morale of the story is the Bills need to mix it up and be less predictable. Go under center, mix in pay action, start under center and then have Josh back off. Whatever you need to do so teams don't know exactly what is coming. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

i think it's because the biggest win of shotgun, bigger passing plays, have gotten harder as the entire nfl has shifted to disguised coverage, nickle base, and a lot of shells and mixed coverages, as well as generally less blitzing of decent qbs.

if the upside is less, or even gone, in shotgun, then you are better off under center.  this is why the prototype tall strong arm decisive qb was made, because he does best under center to make quick reads.  then, defenses adapted to that, and the more seat of pants dynamic qb type came and did well, but now defenses are adapting to that, so under center might be en vouge again.

the nfl goes through these trends all the time, o gets ahead, d catches up, d gets ahead, etc etc.

i think allen can be both the run and gun shotty type, as well as the under center "prototype"

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.