Funny Article

Yahoo News

The Saudis have a thing against women drivers, I guess:

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - He just wanted his colleagues in the government's legislative arm to discuss the possibility of conducting a study into the feasibility of reversing the ban on women drivers — the only prohibition of its kind in the world.

But Consultative Council member Mohammad al-Zulfa's proposal has unleashed a storm in this conservative country where the subject of women drivers remains taboo.

Al-Zulfa's cell phone now constantly rings with furious Saudis accusing him of encouraging women to commit the double sins of discarding their veils and mixing with men. He gets phone text messages calling on Allah to freeze his blood. Chat rooms bristle with insulting accusations that al-Zulfa is "driven by carnal instincts with 454 horsepower."

OK, why is that?

Some say it will present her with opportunities to violate Islamic law, such as exposing her eyes while driving or interacting with strange men, like police officers or mechanics.

"Driving by women leads to evil," Munir al-Shahrani wrote in a letter to the editor of the Al-Watan daily. "Can you imagine what it will be like if her car broke down? She would have to seek help from men."

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.

Without written permission from a male guardian, women may not travel, get an education or work. Regardless of permission, they are not allowed to mix with men in public or leave home without wearing black cloaks, called abayas.

Oh, I thought that was a picture of Darth Maul.

Anyways, guess Saudi men are a little insecure, huh?

Yahoo News

The Saudis have a thing against women drivers, I guess:

OK, why is that?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.

Oh, I thought that was a picture of Darth Maul.

Anyways, guess Saudi men are a little insecure, huh?

349959[/snapback]

Depending on which Muslim you talk to, such prohibitions against women represent either 1) the degree to which Islam treasures women, protecting them from men to the degree that it does, or 2) the degree to which a devout Muslim must avoid temptation and carnal sins to stay in Allah's good graces, leaving women as covered and inaccessible as Islam does. I've heard both justifications...and frankly, either one is not only entirely consistent with Saudi interpretation of Islam but sensible within that interpretation*.

*(Note to mouth-breathing pinheads: I said within that interpretation. That means my statement was not meant to be an absolute, but only relative to that particular interpretation of Islam. Thus, the qualification "within that interpretation". What this means is that when you come at me and say, as you usually do, "So you support the Saudi oppression of women?", I will call you an unabashed fool for being unable to read and discern the meaning of the phrase "within that interpretation".