Pre-Draft: Bills already much better than last year

khlax3

2 hours ago, khlax3 said:

I just want to say up front sorry for the long post. We are 1 week out from the draft and I thought it would be a good idea to take a look position by position to see where the bills were from a roster standpoint compared to the majority of last year compared to the current roster.

Saftey- Much Better

For the majority of 2022 the roster was an injured poyer, Hamlin getting is first starting experience, Johnson who was a major disappointment, and Lewis/marlowe. In 2023 we are looking at a healthy Poyer and Hyde as well as Rapp (who is starting caliber) and Hamlin who now has experimence playing meaningful minutes

Agreed

Corner- Same/Slightly Better

I went back and forth between same and better for this position. The players are for the most part the same but I expect this group to be better this year. White will be 1 1/2 removed from injury and have an offseason to get back into the grove and playing shape, Elam and benford are going into year 2 and showed promise in year 1, and we also have Jackson and Johnson back.

Better:  I think we are better at corner...both Elam and Bedford were rookies last year, and Dane Jackson had limited experience as a starter.  Then you had Tre hurt still and then not quite himself when he was back.  This year, Tre is going to be here from the start and likely better than we last saw hm, and our young guys have more experience.  So I think we can say we are better this year at corner than how we opened the year last season.

Linebacker- Significant downgrade

2022 we had Edmunds and Milano along with Dodson, Bernard, Spector and matekovich. This year we return everyone but Edmunds and have Klien prior to the season but even if one or 2 of them exceed expectations it like will still be a significant downgrade from Edmunds

Agreed

DT- Same

This is the same group as 202. Oliver, Phillips, Jones, Settle. All 4 guys dealt with injuries last season and you hope they came be better if healthy but at this point you can’t say they got better or worse than last year 

Agreed

DE- Same

Just like DT we are returning the same group. Miller, Groot, Epenesa, Basham, Lawson. I went with same here as well even though Miller missed several games last season there is no gurantee he is healthy to start the season. Epenesa has his best year last year but I think he has hit his ceiling 

Disagree - Slightly worse:  Von is now 34 and coming off an ACL and we don't know when he will be back or what his play will be like.  His last 5 games before injury he only had 9 tackles and 2 sacks.  Tall ask to still be elite at age 34, let alone being 34 and coming of an ACL in the 2nd half of last season.  So until we see when he gets back and what he has in the tank, I cant say "same" here and will go with slightly worse.

QB- Same

Hopefully Allen is healthy and we swapped kyle Allen for Kenuem. Kenuem may be better than Kyle Allen but ultimately if Josh is hurt the season is over anyway

Agreed, although I think we are better now than in season last year not having the distractions and his elbow injury.

RB- Same

2022 we had Singletary, cook, Moss, Jones, Gilliam. In 2023 we lose Jones who offered nothing at the position and singletary who is a significant loss but we get cook in year 2 who showed progress throughout the year, Hines will have an offseason to be incorporated into the offense, and Harris who I think is an equal player to singletary but is a better fit as he offers something the team was missing

I think slightly better here...mainly because Cook will be heavily involved out the gate where last year he was not and now Hines is here for a full offseason for Dorsey to better incorporate into the offense.  And I think Harris is a worthy replacement for Singletary, so don't expect any drop off there.  

TE- Same 

As of right now this position looks the same as last year but I expect to add someone in the draft

Agreed

WR- Slightly Better

For the majority of 2022 we played with Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Shakir and guys we were grabbing off the street. 2023 we have diggs who is great and Davis who is who he is. Shakir is going into year 2 and looked good when he got opportunities. I think Sheffield and Harty ar Euphrates to McKenzie and we have much more depth than last year

Agreed, although I actually think we are even better than that...I would say "better" instead of slightly better.  Shakir has experience now and should be incorporated into the offense this year at the slot spot.  Harty IMHO is an upgrade to McKenzie, and Sheffield is better than people realize and could push Davis if he doesn't take a step forward.  

OT- Same

Dawkins, Brown, Doyle, Quessenberry.  2023 players look similair to 2022. Although I’m not willing to say this position group is better there is potential. Brown missed all last offseason with a back injury and should be able to participate this year. Doyle was injured all year and Quesenberry also battled multiple injuries. It’s also year 2 in Kromers system

IOL- Better

2022 was primarily saffold, Morse, bates with Van Rotten as the primary backup. Saffold was terrible replacing him with McGovern is a big upgrade. Bates will also be going into year 2 of starting and we are going into year 2 with Kromer. Edwards and Boettger as back up IOL is much better depth than last year.

Overall besides linebacker this team has already either stayed the same or improved across the board. We will add several players on the draft and FA that will continue to improve each position. There has been a lot of doom and gloom on this board since the season ended but the future looks good!

I think overall our OL is a little better.  I will give OT slightly better vs same because I think Spencer Brown will by default be better than he was last year assuming what Beane said was true, that his previous injuries were limiting him last season.  Plus the interior will play better too, which should help him.  And I do expect us to still add some more help in the draft here too, so going into this season I will have more confidence in the OL to be better than last season.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.