Daily Media Stupidity

David Horsey won the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for editorial cartooning thanks to work like this:

LINK

Quick, give the man another award!

(I had no idea that our military actually labeled rooms "Torture Room 4" etc. but then again I'm not an award winning cartoonist.)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Horsey won the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for editorial cartooning thanks to work like this:

LINK

(I had no idea that our military actually labeled rooms "Torture Room 4" etc. but then again I'm not an award winning cartoonist.)

343505[/snapback]

Actually, his Pulitzer-winning stuff is pretty damned good. Since, though, it seems he's less concerned with pointing out the absurdity of our culture and politics, and more concerned with pointing out the absurdity of that half our culture and politics he disagrees with.

Actually, his Pulitzer-winning stuff is pretty damned good.  Since, though, it seems he's less concerned with pointing out the absurdity of our culture and politics, and more concerned with pointing out the absurdity of that half our culture and politics he disagrees with.

343517[/snapback]

The cartoon I saw didn't point out the absurdity of anything. Or at least, not anything real. It accused American interregators of torturing a prisoner to death. A blatant lie.

The cartoon I saw didn't point out the absurdity of anything. Or at least, not anything real. It accused American interregators of torturing a prisoner to death. A blatant lie.

343810[/snapback]

Some of his cartoons are pretty funny, others, that one included are just rubbish...

Some of his cartoons are pretty funny, others, that one included are just rubbish...

343816[/snapback]

Maybe you're right. But once I catch someone engaging in one blatant lie (such as this cartoon) I become much more open to the idea that they may be engaging in other lies as well; in areas where it's harder to hold them accountable.

343810[/snapback]

So the reports that 7 members of the intelligence unit handling the interrogations have been charged and that the official report into the interrogations indicated that Dilawar (the unfortunate taxi driver with no terrorist connections who died in custody) was beaten and hung from th ceiling by a chain for four days were wrong? And that a further 21 personnel were under investigation in the deaths of Dilawar and Habibullah and could face charges was also incorrect?

So the reports that 7 members of the intelligence unit handling the interrogations have been charged and that the official report into the interrogations indicated that Dilawar (the unfortunate taxi driver with no terrorist connections who died in custody) was beaten and hung from th ceiling by a chain for four days were wrong? And that a further 21 personnel were under investigation in the deaths of Dilawar and Habibullah and could face charges was also incorrect?

343832[/snapback]

Yes, let's all cry for people who blow up a school bus or hijack and crash a plane.

Boohoo!

343832[/snapback]

I had not heard of these reports. If you have a link, I would appreciate it.

Oh, shut up, dumbass.

343874[/snapback]

A comment like this takes a lot of nerve, considering the number of blatant errors you made about the Constitution, which I pointed out. For crying out loud, you made those errors just a few hours ago.

You:

The Constitution outlines government powers, not civil rights.

Ever hear of freedom of speech, or freedom of religion, or freedom of the press? They're all mentioned in the Constitution and its amendments. You made several other erroneous statements about the Constution--all while calling me an idiot. Anyone who wants to see this discussion can go here: http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?act=S...=60#entry343763

I realize not everyone is as smart as me, and that's fine. Where I have a problem is when people who aren't as smart as me--and let's face it, Monkey, you clearly fall into that category--start calling me an idiot. Perhaps you chose your name because your preferred debate style is to throw a lot of . . . feces and see what sticks.

LINK

343505[/snapback]

I'd like to see the cartoons he did that show reporters and construction workers getting their heads cut off with a large knife, aid workers getting shot in back of the head, and people tossed off buildings with their arms and legs tied. And we know it happened, those darling islamo-terrorists video taped it for their viewing pleasure!

And ass-face the cartoon man thinks the US Army is the gold standard in the world for torture?

F**K him. And his drawing sucks too, I could do better when I was 10 years old.

A comment like this takes a lot of nerve, considering the number of blatant errors you made about the Constitution, which I pointed out. For crying out loud, you made those errors just a few hours ago.

You:

Ever hear of freedom of speech, or freedom of religion, or freedom of the press? They're all mentioned in the Constitution and its amendments. You made several other erroneous statements about the Constution--all while calling me an idiot. Anyone who wants to see this discussion can go here: http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?act=S...=60#entry343763

I realize not everyone is as smart as me, and that's fine. Where I have a problem is when people who aren't as smart as me--and let's face it, Monkey, you clearly fall into that category--start calling me an idiot. Perhaps you chose your name because your preferred debate style is to throw a lot of . . .  feces and see what sticks.

343881[/snapback]

Let me be more clear: the Constitution specifically defines the boundaries beyond which the government may not go. For example, the government may NOT infringe on the freedom of speech of the populace.

What it does NOT do, contrary to your inimitably dense belief, is define the rules under which the populace may live. We are not entitled to free speech because the Constitution grants it, the government is forbidden to interfere with our speech because the Constitution denies it.

Jesus Christ, go back to high school and take a civics class, you numbskull.

Let me be more clear: the Constitution specifically defines the boundaries beyond which the government may not go.  For example, the government may NOT infringe on the freedom of speech of the populace.

What it does NOT do, contrary to your inimitably dense belief, is define the rules under which the populace may live.  We are not entitled to free speech because the Constitution grants it, the government is forbidden to interfere with our speech because the Constitution denies it. 

Jesus Christ, go back to high school and take a civics class, you numbskull.

343902[/snapback]

You actually managed to get something about the Constitution right for once. As usual, your interpretation of my posts is incorrect, but going one for two is pretty good--at least for you.

343810[/snapback]

I havent seen it, but could it be parodying a certain view of what happened.......a wrong view?

I havent seen it, but could it be parodying a certain view of what happened.......a wrong view?

344014[/snapback]

You can see the cartoon for yourself by using the link in the first post of the thread.

You can see the cartoon for yourself by using the link in the first post of the thread.

344015[/snapback]

Just saw it- it looks to me as if they are mocking Newsweek's portrayal, although either way, it is in poor taste. The media must be taught that they are accountable for their actions, because they dont think they are