TIL: The United Steelworkers represent USFL players

PromoTheRobot

Why do these players sign up for the XFL and USFL? Because they want one more shot at making the bigs. Last year the USFL put 51 players into NFL training camps. Only one or two made the cut. (Kavontae Turpin of the Cowboys is the most famous.) A few more got on practice squads. But at least they got that shot, and for most players one year is all they'll do before moving on to real jobs.

12 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

You pay employees with income generated. The WNBA for example has never made a profit. It's charity, not business. If they are paying players 5k per week then they are operating at a huge loss and are just hoping it works. They might as well play the lottery because that's not how a business is run.

Odd take on the situation. Ever hear of Jeff Bezo’s and his little online bookstore? He lost truck loads of money before becoming profitable. And his employees are definitely not “let’s build nirvana”! Now please don’t consider me a fan of his or Amazon. I think there are definitely multiple ways to build things. But as a retired firefighter, unions and collective bargaining for workers is a good thing. If you disagree, that’s fine. I think they are important. What’s the stat on wealth. Like 1% of the people on the planet control90-95% of wealth. These guys bust their rear ends. Invest in them! Sorry if that’s too soap boxy, and sorry if I came a little snarky early on. But man the workers need some representation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.