Long Bills answer from Carucci

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8480589

The Bills haven't addressed their left tackle position, with so far the most notable of the team options being center Trey Teague, backup Mike Gandy and undrafted free agent Jason Peters. Has Tom Donahoe made a serious error in judgment not going after someone if free agency or the draft, or do you hold with the belief that line coach Jim McNally can spin straw into gold?

--Richard; Stratford, Ont.

I would have preferred that the Bills use one of their first two draft picks on an offensive lineman rather than a receiver ( Roscoe Parrish) and a tight end ( Kevin Everett ).

But I don't believe that Donahoe made a serious error in judgment. Parrish has the speed to give the Bills another game-breaker in addition to Eric Moulds and Lee Evans. Although he had the misfortune of suffering a serious knee injury in minicamp, Everett had the potential to provide much-needed play-making help at a position where the Bills already had two players recovering from serious knee injuries.

It also isn't a stretch for the Bills to look to McNally to develop at least a solid starting tackle and a couple of decent reserves from the candidates on the roster. McNally is a talented enough coach to help a player realize every ounce of his ability.

Another point worth noting is that new starter J.P. Losman brings far more mobility to the quarterback position than the Bills had with Drew Bledsoe, and between his scrambling and the designed rollout plays that will be incorporated into the offense, the line conceivably should have fewer problems in pass protection. The operative word is "conceivably," because Losman's inexperience will likely present its own share of challenges for the line in the early going.

If JP is scrambling more than staying in the pocket, we're gonna have a huge problem all season. I hope we see 75% passing and only 25% scrambling on passing downs. Otherwise, we'll be able to tell that he hasn't grasped NFL defenses yet and we won't win much.

If JP is scrambling more than staying in the pocket, we're gonna have a huge problem all season.  I hope we see 75% passing and only 25% scrambling on passing downs.  Otherwise, we'll be able to tell that he hasn't grasped NFL defenses yet and we won't win much.

338811[/snapback]

RJ was mobile too!

RJ was mobile too!

338815[/snapback]

The comparisons to RJ (even as a joke) are premature and JP has already voiced his extreme displeasure at the comparison.

It sounds to me like a few of you are mssing the point Vic was making with the "rollout pocket helping the line" statement. Defensive coordinators plan their pass rush attack based on the type of QB they are facing. A slow QB means the defense can always know where a QB will be if a pass occurs - Drew was always 3-5 steps back, right behind center. All rushers could plan ahead on going to that spot. A mobile pocket does not mean scrambling QB. It means a planned shift of the pcoket to a position not right behind center. This is designed to throw off blitzers.

There are drawbacks to this approach obviously - it can reduce the field for the QB and confuse the linemen (hence why this requires a lot of practice!). It also requires a fast QB who can get to the new pcoket location quickly to allow for time for him to set and scan the field.

The bigger question for JP is not can he move fast (we know he can). The question is how fast can he read the defense and pull the trigger on a pass. Big Ben impressed me from Day 1 in that, even when the opportunity for a scramble was there in front of him - he was looking downfield to throw the ball. When I see JP start to do that (think pass first and not panic and run too early) THAT wil be a good sign that he can make it in this league.

RJ panicked all the time - even when there was no pressure on him. His linemen never knew where he was or where he was going. he just plain out sucked.

JP - in the preseason - DID show some pocket sense (un RJ-like), coukld throw the screen (un Drew-like), and occasionally hung in the pocket to the last second.

That was preseason, let's see how he matures.

here's hopin'.......

-RnJ

Here is some feedback on a question posed to Vic Carrucci:

The Bills haven't addressed their left tackle position, with so far the most notable of the team options being center Trey Teague, backup Mike Gandy and undrafted free agent Jason Peters. Has Tom Donahoe made a serious error in judgment not going after someone in free agency or the draft, or do you hold with the belief that line coach Jim McNally can spin straw into gold?

--Richard; Stratford, Ont.

I would have preferred that the Bills use one of their first two draft picks on an offensive lineman rather than a receiver ( Roscoe Parrish) and a tight end ( Kevin Everett ).

Ask Vic!

Have a question for Vic on anything NFL related? Don't just sit there -- send it to AskVic@nfl.com, and the best questions will be answered throughout the season right here on NFL.com!

But I don't believe that Donahoe made a serious error in judgment. Parrish has the speed to give the Bills another game-breaker in addition to Eric Moulds and Lee Evans. Although he had the misfortune of suffering a serious knee injury in minicamp, Everett had the potential to provide much-needed play-making help at a position where the Bills already had two players recovering from serious knee injuries.

It also isn't a stretch for the Bills to look to McNally to develop at least a solid starting tackle and a couple of decent reserves from the candidates on the roster. McNally is a talented-enough coach to help a player realize every ounce of his ability.

Another point worth noting is that new starter J.P. Losman brings far more mobility to the quarterback position than the Bills had with Drew Bledsoe, and between his scrambling and the designed rollout plays that will be incorporated into the offense, the line conceivably should have fewer problems in pass protection. The operative word is "conceivably," because Losman's inexperience will likely present its own share of challenges for the line in the early going.