Bills fans/bars in Albuquerque

I am going to be going to grad school at the Univeristy of New Mexico in the fall and I am curious if there are any Bills fans in that area who can report on places to watch Bills games. I just finished Marv's book and found it interesting that he coached the Lobos for a couple of years way back, and also that he coined the phrase "Where else would you rather be?" there.

I am going to be going to grad school at the Univeristy of New Mexico in the fall and I am curious if there are any Bills fans in that area who can report on places to watch Bills games. I just finished Marv's book and found it interesting that he coached the Lobos for a couple of years way back, and also that he coined the phrase "Where else would you rather be?" there.

338380[/snapback]

I've no idea about Bill's supporters there, but spent a few months there years ago in a transportation manufacture-related project. A nice enough town in my recollection. Good luck with the grad work. What field of study?

338380[/snapback]

I dont know, but if you get in touch with Jennifer Wilbanks, maybe she can help you out! :doh:

Good luck with school! :doh:

You might have the unique opportunity of starting the Buffalo Bills Backers of Albuquerque and installing yourself as the founder and president. Find a cool bar with the NFL Sunday Ticket and negotiate good cheap beer prices for Sunday mornings. If you build it, they will come.

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback on ABQ. It does look to be a pretty gorgeous area. Maybe I'll look to start some type of Bills gathering at a bar.

Someone asked what I will be studying... I'm working on a PhD in Education. My particular area of interest is financial issues (salary, benefits, etc) facing teachers and what impact it has on their decision to enter or leave the profession. I actually have a book out called Teach and Retire Rich. While oxymoronic in title it spells out the intrinsic and extrinsic rewards to be reaped from the profession. I also run a website www.403bwise.com on the main retirement plan available to teachers. I encourage any teachers out there to take a look at these sites. The website was recently featured in Forbes magazine.

Dan Otter

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback on ABQ. It does look to be a pretty gorgeous area. Maybe I'll look to start some type of Bills gathering at a bar.

Someone asked what I will be studying... I'm working on a PhD in Education. My particular area of interest is financial issues (salary, benefits, etc) facing teachers and what impact it has on their decision to enter or leave the profession. I actually have a book out called Teach and Retire Rich. While oxymoronic in title it spells out the intrinsic and extrinsic rewards to be reaped from the profession. I also run a website www.403bwise.com on the main retirement plan available to teachers. I encourage any teachers out there to take a look at these sites. The website was recently featured in Forbes magazine.

Dan Otter

339140[/snapback]

Hmmm...what about the fate of the taxpayer? The taxpayer without children? Are they merely a source to be milked? Your title says little to the dedication of teachers. Have we been gulled? Is education now reduced to "profit center" status?

Very disheartening.

stuckincincy,

The title Teach and Retire Rich is a play on words and on public perception not an attempt to "milk the taxpayer." The real premise of the book is teaching affords one an opportunity to have an enormously rewarding career with decent (not lucrative), but decent compensation.

It has been estimated that more than 2 million teachers will be needed over the next 10 years. Many are turned off by what they perceive to be low pay and an increasingly intrusive federal government (NCLB). Teachers have something called a 403(b) available which is funded purely by the teacher (not the tax payer). However only 2 in 5 teachers contribute to the plan. There is a myriad of reasons for this but the first and foremost is lack of awareness of the plan's existence. That is what my site www.403bwise.com and book attempt to convey to a public very much in the dark on this important issue.

Dan Otter

stuckincincy,

The title Teach and Retire Rich is a play on words and on public perception not an attempt to "milk the taxpayer." The real premise of the book is teaching affords one an opportunity to have an enormously rewarding career with decent (not lucrative), but decent compensation.

It has been estimated that more than 2 million teachers will be needed over the next 10 years. Many are turned off by what they perceive to be low pay and an increasingly intrusive federal government (NCLB). Teachers have something called a 403(b) available which is funded purely by the teacher (not the tax payer). However only 2 in 5 teachers contribute to the plan. There is a myriad of reasons for this but the first and foremost is lack of awareness of the plan's existence. That is what my site www.403bwise.com and book attempt to convey to a public very much in the dark on this important issue.

Dan Otter

339324[/snapback]

Lack of awareness among college graduates says something about either them or their course of study. Put me at the head of the list in targeting parents as public enemy #1 regarding difficulties with education. But having been on the receiving end of endless bond issues by school systems (often and openly, admittedly held at times judged to get the least voter turn-out), and numerous calls at home by teacher unions and administrations to enroll my (non-existent) children in federal school lunch programs (a money maker for a school system - I leave it to others as to why a parent cannot seem to stuff a pnb sandwich and apple into a paper sack for their little precious ones - something that used to be done as a matter of course). Evidently those who have difficulties with federal intervention have no qualms when it makes jingle come their way...

The two school systems I have paid taxes to in the last 15 years positively drip with overhead - far avove needs for the mandated schooling of the social violents and the sad mental and physically afflicted ones.

Please don't denigrate the public by implying that they are in the dark. The issue is important to public employee's pocketbooks - don't paint it as a general plight. We wring our hands because the seeming goal is to extract more and more cash from us to be handed over to those with lifetime job security, and even some with a sinecure.

stuckincincy,

Dan Otter

339324[/snapback]

Lack of awareness among college graduates says something about either them or their course of study. Put me at the head of the list in targeting parents as public enemy #1 regarding difficulties with education. But having been on the receiving end of endless bond issues by school systems (often, and openly, admittedly held at times judged to get the least voter turn-out. When they lose a vote for more money, they schedule a new vote for 3 or 4 months later, and on and on until they win the levy by voter fatigue), and numerous calls at home by teacher unions and administrations to enroll my (non-existent) children in federal school lunch programs (a money maker for a school system - I leave it to others as to why a parent cannot seem to stuff a pnb sandwich and apple into a paper sack for their little precious ones - something that used to be done as a matter of course). Evidently those who have difficulties with federal intervention have no qualms when it makes jingle come their way...

The two school systems I have paid taxes to in the last 15 years positively drip with overhead - far above needs for the mandated schooling of the social violents and the sad mental and physically afflicted ones.

Please don't denigrate the public by implying that they are in the dark. The issue is important to public employee's pocketbooks - don't paint it as a general plight. We wring our hands because the seeming goal is to extract more and more cash from us to be handed over to those with lifetime job security, and even some with a sinecure. In the private sector, this is known as a "racket".

stuckincincy,

Dan Otter

339324[/snapback]

Lack of awareness among college graduates says something about either them or their course of study. Put me at the head of the list in targeting parents as public enemy #1 regarding difficulties with education. But having been on the receiving end of endless bond issues by school systems (often, and openly, admittedly held at times judged to get the least voter turn-out. When they lose a vote for more money, they schedule a new vote for 3 or 4 months later, and on and on until they win the levy by voter fatigue), and numerous calls at home by teacher unions and administrations to enroll my (non-existent) children in federal school lunch programs (a money maker for a school system - I leave it to others as to why a parent cannot seem to stuff a pnb sandwich and apple into a paper sack for their little precious ones - something that used to be done as a matter of course). Evidently those who have difficulties with federal intervention have no qualms when it makes jingle come their way...

The two school systems I have paid taxes to in the last 15 years positively drip with overhead - far above needs for the mandated schooling of the social violents and the sad mental and physically afflicted ones.

Please don't denigrate the public by implying that they are in the dark. The issue is important to public employee's pocketbooks - don't paint it as a general plight. We wring our hands because the seeming goal is to extract more and more cash from us to be handed over to those with lifetime job security, and even some with a sinecure. In the private sector, the name used for this is a "racket".

stuckincinncy,

I think you have gotten a tad off topic. I respect your opinion that schools are often bloated and wasteful. No argument there. The bloat and waste is rarely at the classroom level, however. I will also tell you from first hand experience that teaching is an enormously difficult endeavor. I have worked in the private sector and have taught in the public schools. The former work was much, much, much less taxing (no pun intended). I will repeat my point before: It has been estimated that more than 2 million teachers will be needed over the next 10 years. Where are they going to come from? In the private sector employees are recruited via financial incentives. I am not lobbying for a massive increase in teacher salaries. I am simply pointing out that despite what many think teaching affords one an opportunity to have an enormously rewarding career with decent, not lucrative, but decent compensation. Please tell me your ideas for recruiting and retaining quality teachers?

Dan Otter

stuckincinncy,

I think you have gotten a tad off topic. I respect your opinion that schools are often bloated and wasteful. No argument there. The bloat and waste is rarely at the classroom level, however. I will also tell you from first hand experience that teaching is an enormously difficult endeavor. I have worked in the private sector and have taught in the public schools. The former work was much, much, much less taxing (no pun intended). I will repeat my point before: It has been estimated that more than 2 million teachers will be needed over the next 10 years. Where are they going to come from? In the private sector employees are recruited via financial incentives. I am not lobbying for a massive increase in teacher salaries. I am simply pointing out that despite what many think teaching affords one an opportunity to have an enormously rewarding career with decent, not lucrative, but decent compensation. Please tell me your ideas for recruiting and retaining quality teachers?

Dan Otter

340125[/snapback]

Yes, the topic has drifted - my doing.

I don't see evidence of teachers leaving the fold in droves. As it happens, the Cincinnati Public School system is going to be cutting back teachers in recognition of declining enrollment, and there is a battle royale going on regarding the lay-off criteria. And last year, they demanded (and got) an extra day's pay because the Federal government declared a day of mourning upon the death of President Reagan. I would question the estimate of more that 2 million teachers needed in the future, since our society is aging.

One thing that could drive that, of course, it the concept of fewer students per classroom. IIRC, the Democratic legislature of the state of Florida enacted a law mandating a reduction in class size - in order to for some reason, punish the current Governor. It will be a financial back breaker for the State. I was a "baby boomer". Class sizes of 40+ were quite common. And yet, the level of vocabulary of students was far greater than today. Even with the underpaid teachers at the time, even with the lack of "personal attention". Quite the contrary, just about the last thing a kid wanted, then, was to have special treatment from a teacher. And I fondly remember every teacher, K through 12. They were in the business of building character, first and foremost. Today, such a concept in the public systems is considered prejudicial or whatever. Sad.

We could certainly talk about the obvious- discipline and heavy federal involvement (I believe that the disruptive, handicapped or not, should be seperated - what we have now is analogous to having a garden that is going to seed because we are spending an inordinate amount of effort feeding the weeds.).

We could talk about the the effects of having a worker with the dual protection of civil service and union representation. We could talk about what constitutes a quality teacher. For me, it's not a master's degree in mathematics for someone instructing elementary school students. I prefer a person who can communicate principles in small cumulative bits. However, the current vogue is that more formal education, the better the instructor - which coincidentally results in riches for institutions that sell that formal education.

I don't know if the few words above are an answer to your question about recruitment and retention - I simply do not view it as quite the problem that you do.

Hey stuckincincy,

We might want to spare Bills fans our debate on this issue here. I encourage you to visit the www.403bwise.com Discussion Board and post your conerns about class size and teacher compensation there. I will caution you against equating what goes on in Cincinnati with national trends. Much of the northeast is experiencing a population retrenchment while the west and south are booming. And I do wince when someone speaks authoritively on an education issue by referencing their experience as a student in days gone by. As I found out first hand being a student some time ago and being a teacher today are two very different beasts. I sincerely encourage you to spend some extended time in a classroom. Your views on teacher compensation and class size may change.

Dan Otter

Hey stuckincincy,

We might want to spare Bills fans our debate on this issue here. I encourage you to visit the www.403bwise.com Discussion Board and post your conerns about class size and teacher compensation there. I will caution you against equating what goes on in Cincinnati with national trends. Much of the northeast is experiencing a population retrenchment while the west and south are booming. And I do wince when someone speaks authoritively on an education issue by referencing their experience as a student in days gone by. As I found  out first hand being a student some time ago and being a teacher today are two very different beasts. I sincerely encourage you to spend some extended time in a classroom. Your views on teacher compensation and class size may change.

Dan Otter

340229[/snapback]

Sorry - my pop-up blocker blocks that site. It's somebody's moneymaker, eh? :wacko: