Kevin Everett question

Did Lee Evans look slow to you last season ? He had a much worse tear at Wisconson during his junior campaign. His speed improved every game during his Senior season.

Then look at his rookie year with the Bills. He recovered all his speed. That's not always the case but Everett has a very good chance to get his speed back. Willis had the worst of all and he's showing more every time out.

Did Lee Evans look slow to you last season ? He had a much worse tear at Wisconson during his junior campaign. His speed improved every game during his Senior season.

Then look at his rookie year with the Bills. He recovered all his speed. That's not always the case but Everett has a very good chance to get his speed back. Willis had the worst of all and he's showing more every time out.

336816[/snapback]

i dunno, i mean, this is not a yes or no answer. it depends on how the individual player responds, how severe the tear was and how hard the player recoups it. some players never regain their speed - due to genetics - and go for the "bulk" up mode. jerry rice did this, so di kevin lylod and others who could not gain the speed they had - so they go bigger to compensate. it is like the bald man growing a goatee?

A close relative of mine recently went through complete reconstructive knee surgery (= more than Everett), and the story we got from two different doctors is this:

The ACL has enough muscle sheathing around it, and other ligaments around it, that the affected leg can be reconditioned to perform the same functions it had before -- meaning an athlete can recover prior speed with enough rehabbing (and I guess dedication). If there's more ligament damage (like tearing the MCL, which happened in our family case) it's less likely because you have that much less of the additional support for the newly reconstructed ACL. That's why there was so much skepticism about McGahee.

As I understand it, Everett's only injury was to the ACL. It takes time to get full flexibility and strength back, but it can be done. At least that's what I understand.

Hines Ward tore his ACL a few years ago, and he seems to be doing OK.