Any News on Everett?

He was supposed to have surgery last week, but I haven't heard anything about it happening, how it went, what they found, etc. Kind of strange, considering there were almost daily reports about him. Someone on the BBMB said he heard on ESPN that it was just a partial tear of the ACL and he wouldn't need surgery, but I haven't heard anything (either way) about that being true or not.

If it was a partial tear, he will play/practice this year.  It is one thing to get injured and be out the entire season, it is another thing when it happens during your rookie season and hinders long term development.

I agree, but I think that in any case (partial versus full), he's done for the season. But it would be better to have a partial, not full, tear.

If it was a partial tear, he will play/practice this year.  It is one thing to get injured and be out the entire season, it is another thing when it happens during your rookie season and hinders long term development.

332637[/snapback]

Sounds from this like it's a complete tear, although they're pretty upbeat about it:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/clayton/qhits.htm

May 2, 2005

Buffalo draft pick needs ACL surgery

Bills third-round choice Kevin Everett will undergo ACL surgery Wednesday to repair a knee he injured in mini-camp last Friday, his agent, Brian Overstreet, said. Everett is hopeful of being able to play this season, but Overstreet said Everett will be out until September or October.

"The good news is that it's a perfectly clean tear and it involved only one ligament," Overstreet said. "He could be back this year. Right now, we have to get him the surgery and get him back."

The Bills can put Everett on the physically-unable-to-perform list at the start of training camp, giving them the option of bringing him back by October without eating up a roster spot in the cutdown to 53 players. Everett hurt the knee when he jammed it into the turf on a non-contact play.

The Bills might look to add a veteran such as Marcellus Rivers or Fred Baxter before camp.

Agents ALWAYS overstate how quickly their players can be back on the field.

The fact that only one ligament was involved IS good news but the rehab is still 6 months to be able to START light practicing and no one recovers fully for at least 9-12 months. Typically longer for speed but being a TE Everett might not be as affected by that.

My own prediction is that Everett will not suit up for a game at all this year and - if he does - it won't be until November.

(PS: I am HARDLY a pro but I do have experinece in ACL tears - having torn mine twice inthe same knee. I did jog 22 miles on my "bad" legs last week so I am not a complete gimp (I did say "not a complete, mind you) <_<

332637[/snapback]

Partial tear or full tear. Makes no difference. The ACL has a poor blood supply, so the ligament will never heal on its own. He will have what's known as pivot shift (the lower portion of the leg being able to turn outward without the thigh moving - yuck!) and it will buckle on him from time to time causing more damage.

He's better off having the Modified Jones Reconstruction (Patellar Tendon Graft) and starting his rehab ASAP. Link to ACL surgeries

I know. I've torn each ACL and had the same procedure 6 years apart.

I still play and officiate ice hockey at age 41, so I know the surgery works. He's what, 22?

He'll be fine.