One Year Ago...

To put this weekend's mini-camp in perspective, here are some news and notes from the 2004 camp. Prophetic and in DB's case, funny:

2004 Buffalo Bills mini-camp news and notes from Buffalo News and Rochester D&C:----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Losman is excited to be able to watch and learn from Bledsoe.

"I've been watching this guy for so long, and now I see him in person it's kind of like a little shock, too," Losman said. "All quarterbacks in the NFL you look up to growing up, and he was definitely one of them. I was learning from him as much as I can.

He's just basically showing me how it's done, and he does it right every time. The thing that I respect about him the most is how much the other guys respond to him when he talks. Everyone respects him, and so you have to learn how to get that respect."

Bledsoe said Losman will be fine in time.

"He's obviously a very talented guy," Bledsoe said. "It'll be interesting to watch him develop. Hopefully, in a few years down the road when I ride off into the sunset, I can look back and watch the progress he's made with us working together."

Bledsoe said he understood the selection of Losman.

"Completely," he said. "It makes sense for the organization. Hopefully, it will pay dividends for the Bills in the future - not just the immediate future." :D:P

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running back Willis McGahee got through his second minicamp without any setbacks to surgically repaired left knee.

He appeared to have a bit of a hitch in his stride, but insists the knee is sound.

"My knee is 100 percent, so it's not like I'm getting any swelling," McGahee said. "It's just the fact that I'm getting back used to things. It's going pretty good. I'm just trying to work on little stuff like my explosion, coming out of cuts."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lee Evans was confident he could outrun the defensive backs placed in front of him.

What the speedy first-round draft pick from the University of Wisconsin couldn't leave in his dust were the emotions bubbling inside of him at last weekend's rookie orientation camp for the Buffalo Bills.

So many years had passed. So many obstacles had been hurdled. Now here he was. In the National Football League.

"It was exciting the first time putting on a professional uniform," Evans, 23, said. "I can't put it into words, that's how much it means to me. It's something I've set my sights on from Day 1, and finally now it's a reality. Throughout the whole process, I learned to never take anything for granted, so just stepping out there on the field was a blessing for me. Now I've got to take advantage of it."

Evans is off to a roaring start.

Sure it was only four practices, the first of many more before the Bills kick off the season on Sept. 12, but Evans left no doubt he can be a factor his rookie season.

He caught every pass thrown his way, including a spectacular grab during the team's open practice on Saturday when he went over cornerback Terrence McGee, juggled the ball, and snagged it one-handed before it hit the ground.

The Academic All-American also picked up the subtleties in the playbook, something that pleased coach Mike Mularkey the most. After all, fast is nice, but the faster a player learns, the sooner he plays.

"He looked comfortable out there and it looks like he's picking things up rather quickly," Mularkey said. "You can tell a receiver, or any player, a lot of times when they're young and they don't play to their speed.

They have a little bit of doubt, 'Am I doing the right thing?' But I didn't see that out of Lee. He came off the ball on a route we call 'Z-Win' - you want to win the game with a touchdown - and if he can't, he hooks it up at 16 to 18 yards. Well, he came off smokin'. He read it perfect. Those are things that typically you have to practice a few times to get them down."

great post! its wierd looking back before last season and seeing how much things have changed..... bledsoe riding off into the sunset and JP not being a part of the immediate future hahahahaha, McGahee insisting that travis is the starter...... and Lee Evans being the back up to Josh Reed...... my my my how things change in just one year