TOPS Markets

There is a Martins in Northern VA where I used to live. I just went there about two months ago when I was on vacation and I must say, it was REALLY nice. It reminded me a lot of Wegmans. I went there a few times and my thoughts were it was my second favorite grocery store.

My uncle was one of the founding fathers of Tops (specially that very Maple location). He sold his shares a while back before it became the mega store it was but he cleaned up pretty well.

The Tops Int'l on Maple was changed to Martin's because they are going after the Wegmans across the street. That Wegmans is their higgest money getter and Tops Int'l took a big hit. So they are trying the Martin's name there. Who knows though, they might change them all eventually. I think that would be bad though, WNYer's like WNY companies. Tops and Wegmans are WNY. Martin's isn't.

321807[/snapback]

Are Western New Yorkers that dumb? Everyone who lives here knows its still the same store, same owners, just a different name. It may have been named Tops for the last 15 years but when Ahold bought them it no longer was a locally owned store anyway. I refuse to believe that changing the name of the store is going to automatically make people not want to shop at other stores. I have been to this new fancy Martin's, and personally I still prefer Wegmans. They cleaned it up and rearranged the aisles, but it still looks like a Tops. The bright lighting in Martin's/Tops makes me feel like I am in a hospital.

Trader Joe's is nice for "uppity" type selection. :P

Not sure if they are in WNY?  Based out of MA?

Small, nice gourmet selection and not over done.  Prices are reasonable too!

321793[/snapback]

Woudn't consider Trader Joes uppity. We shop there quite often as their fish(frozen) and wine prices are excellant.

Their Charles Shaw brand of wines is our everyday wine now. Two Buck Chuck as its known is a pretty good value at 3.29 a bottle, and the cab and merlot are certainly drinkable with the dreck my wife and I eat on the weekdays.

BTW, based in CA, have been expanding east over the least decade

Woudn't consider Trader Joes uppity. We shop there quite often as their fish(frozen) and wine prices are excellant.

Their Charles Shaw brand of wines is our everyday wine now. Two Buck Chuck as its known is a pretty good value at 3.29 a bottle, and the cab and merlot are certainly drinkable with the dreck my wife and I eat on the weekdays.

BTW, based in CA, have been expanding east over the least decade

322037[/snapback]

Trader Joe's just opened at Crocker Park in the western suburbs here, but I haven't been in it yet. Saw one of their circulars, looks like a really unique store.

Mike