Lenny P makes a comment on Eagles

During the Mock Draft on ESPN yesterday, Lenny said the following...

"You know, a general manager I trust a lot said something interesting to me the other day: "The Eagles have so many picks that they can't use them all. They're so good, they'll just be drafting players that have no chance to make their team." I hadn't thought of it that way, but he's right. Don't discount the possibility of the Eagles trying to get DE Darren Howard from New Orleans with some of their draft picks. As for guys they might move up to secure, my guess would be an offensive lineman, maybe a guy like Khalif Barnes, if he started slipping. But, obviously, all those picks provides them a lot of flexibility."

Lenny and TD's relationship has been talked about often. I wouldn't doubt that those words came out of his mouth at some point. That may be why we are looking at a trade with the Eagles. Maybe getting multiple second day picks as well as a third for TH. 26 hours and we will have some idea what the heck is going on with our team.

John Clayton this morning on ESPN radio said the Eagles were offering a 3rd for Henry. I'd be po'ed if TD took that. But consider the source.

312659[/snapback]

I'd take that if nothing came about before then, or maybe a 3rd and conditional next year.

Henry is clearly better than the second tier of running backs in this draft. At 26 and with a pair of 1,300-yard seasons under his belt, Henry is better than any back you can draft in the second round and beyond.

During the Mock Draft on ESPN yesterday, Lenny said the following...

"You know, a general manager I trust a lot said something interesting to me the other day: "The Eagles have so many picks that they can't use them all. They're so good, they'll just be drafting players that have no chance to make their team." I hadn't thought of it that way, but he's right. Don't discount the possibility of the Eagles trying to get DE Darren Howard from New Orleans with some of their draft picks. As for guys they might move up to secure, my guess would be an offensive lineman, maybe a guy like Khalif Barnes, if he started slipping. But, obviously, all those picks provides them a lot of flexibility."

Lenny and TD's relationship has been talked about often.  I wouldn't doubt that those words came out of his mouth at some point.  That may be why we are looking at a trade with the Eagles.  Maybe getting multiple second day picks as well as a third for TH.  26 hours and we will have some idea what the heck is going on with our team.

312625[/snapback]

don't be surprised if the Eagles trade down in exchage for picks next year, including a #1.

Two points:

1. One of the talking heads on ESPN made the same point on SportsCenter last night: the Eagles have 13 draft picks and 13 rookies are not going to make the team. It sounds like whoever it was just picked up Lenny P's point.

2. While I'd like to get maximum value for Henry, I'm thinking more and more that the real answer is to get two picks, like a third and next year's fourth or something. Nobody's going to give up a second. Thirds and later don't project as stars (that's why they're not firsts or seconds), but thirds and fourths (and maybe even sevenths!) should at least be able to play the game. In other words, you can end up with more depth and an overall better roster if you know how to draft, and all you're giving up by not getting a second (that is, only one pick) is maybe a little star power. That may be confusing, but what I mean is that getting two players for Henry instead of one could be a good deal.