Dave & Busters

If you own the franchise and pay the fees ant the upfront $$$, you will fail if you allow a small portion of your trade to empty out the greater part. Business 101. No problem in a 1000 sq. ft. local gin mill, but a killer if you depend on food sales and families to make the cash register sing, pay the bills and make a profit.

311788[/snapback]

It doesn't seem to hurt the full size D&B's? Why are they succeeding if your philosophy was correct? In fact, they also have Blackjack at the larger joints. Degenerate gamblers and all would be ruining the place, but they are doing just fine.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had the kind of capital it would take, I would demolish the entire Eastern Hills mall and build a bigger and more upscale mall to serve the affluent communities that surround it. D&B would have been one tenant I would have sought.

On a somewhat related note the Walden Galleria mall in Cheektowaga is planning a $50 million expansion that will include the upscale Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, and Abuelos Mexican Food Embassy restaurants along with an 18 screen cinema along with a pool hall and video arcade. Good news for those of us who are sick of average chain restaurants like Applebee's and TGI Fridays and want good quality food. The Buffalo News article about this is at: http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050420/1071323.asp

On a somewhat related note the Walden Galleria mall in Cheektowaga is planning a $50 million expansion that will include the upscale Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, and Abuelos Mexican Food Embassy restaurants along with an 18 screen cinema along with a pool hall and video arcade.  Good news for those of us who are sick of average chain restaurants like Applebee's and TGI Fridays and want good quality food.   The Buffalo News article about this is at: http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050420/1071323.asp

311803[/snapback]

You think the Cheescake Factory will sell Cheesecake at the Buffalo location? I mean - we're only Buffalo - we should be grateful and only expect less...

What a crock of !@#!.

No wonder Buffalo is a Mickey Mouse town.

It doesn't seem to hurt the full size D&B's? Why are they succeeding if your philosophy was correct?  In fact, they also have Blackjack at the larger joints. Degenerate gamblers and all would be ruining the place, but they are doing just fine.

311796[/snapback]

Are you sure they are doing well, or riding on a bubble of eager (see Barnum) franchise buyers? I'm sure you realize what Ponzi schemes are, and the passage of time until ithey burst...

Sorry - pool players buy booze and drop quarters, but sale of food is where the money is.

Are you sure they are doing well, or riding on a bubble of eager (see Barnum) franchise buyers?  I'm sure you realize what Ponzi schemes are, and the passage of time until ithey burst...

Sorry - pool players buy booze and drop quarters, but sale of food is where the money is.

311813[/snapback]

Philly's D&B has been around for over a decade. There is also a Jillians.

They sell food, sell booze and people use quarters for all games from pool to video auto racing. The place is always packed with people. During the summer, you have to wait just to enter the door. The line to get in goes down the stairs and out the door.

Sorry, but your hypothesis is not not holding up to reality in this case. Business is booming.

Philly's D&B has been around for over a decade. There is also a Jillians.

They sell food, sell booze and people use quarters for all games from pool to video auto racing. The place is always packed with people. During the summer, you have to wait just to enter the door. The line to get in goes down the stairs and out the door.

Sorry, but your hypothesis is not not holding up to reality in this case. Business is booming.

311828[/snapback]

Clearly there is a misconception at what type of people frequent Jillians and Dave & Busters. We're not talking just your average Joe who sits at the corner bar in South Buffalo - Lot's of young professionals hit up these types of places all the time.

Ever been to the Jillians in Boston? It's an awsome place.

Have you guys ever been to Pearl Street in downtown Buffalo? They have a nice set of tables - and it's always filled with professionals.

That's all I'm suggesting for the Eastern Hills location.

If they have just games - good luck getting suburban corporations to host off site meetings, conferences and team building experiences at D&B...

You need to offer a range of activities - not everyone wants to play Atari all day.

But then again, we're just buffalo - and we should just accept anything and never question or suggest.

With that mentality - that's why we have UB in Amherst, Rich Stadium in OP, a Thruway/Skyway that cuts us off from our waterfront, and so forth.

Right guys?

Are you sure they are doing well, or riding on a bubble of eager (see Barnum) franchise buyers?  I'm sure you realize what Ponzi schemes are, and the passage of time until ithey burst...

311813[/snapback]

Have you ever been in a pool hall? They all sell food now, along with booze and soda.

I've been going to pool halls, with my wife, friends, and younger relatives, around the country, for the past 20 years, and I've never had a problem with the clientele. Not once.

And in a real pool hall, it costs more than quarters to play pool. During peak hours, the charge is usually between 7 and 10 dollars per person, per hour. Roughly the cost of a movie ticket.

Clearly there is a misconception at what type of people frequetn Jillians and Dave & Busters.  We're not talking just your average Joe who sits at the corner bar in South Buffalo - Lot's of young professionals hit up these types of places all the time.

Ever been to the Jillians in Boston?  It's an awsome place.

Have you guys ever been to Pearl Street?  They have a nice set of tables - and it's always filled with professionals.

That's all I'm suggesting for the Eastern Hills location. 

If they have just games - good luck getting corporations to host off site meetings,  conferences and team building experiences at D&B...

You need to offer a range of activities - not everyone wants to play Atari all day.

But then again, we're just buffalo - and we should just accept anything and never question.

Right guys?

311843[/snapback]

I know exactly what type of people frequent these places because I have been to both in multiple cities around the country.

Have you ever been in a pool hall?  They all sell food now, along with booze and soda. 

I've been going to pool halls, with my wife, friends, and younger relatives, around the country, for the past 20 years, and I've never had a problem with the clientele.  Not once.

And in a real pool hall, it costs more than quarters to play pool. During peak hours, the charge is usually between 7 and 10 dollars per person, per hour.  Roughly the cost of a movie ticket.

311844[/snapback]

...and D&B is not just a pool hall. In fact, in the Philly location, the section for pool tables covers about 1-2% of the total square footage of the place. Hell, it is smaller than either of the bars or any of the various food sections.

...and D&B is not just a pool hall. In fact, in the Philly location, the section for pool tables covers about 1-2% of the total square footage of the place. Hell, it is smaller than either of the bars or any of the various food sections.

311850[/snapback]

I never suggested that it was... but all the D&B's I've been to have 4-6 tables if not more.

Not a lot of space...

Have you ever been in a pool hall?  They all sell food now, along with booze and soda. 

I've been going to pool halls, with my wife, friends, and younger relatives, around the country, for the past 20 years, and I've never had a problem with the clientele.  Not once.

And in a real pool hall, it costs more than quarters to play pool. During peak hours, the charge is usually between 7 and 10 dollars per person, per hour.  Roughly the cost of a movie ticket.

311844[/snapback]

Of course I have. For over 40 years.

You must go to some very posh pool halls.

Just in case, you and I are not enemies, KRC. We disagree on this subject...

311850[/snapback]

Yeah, that's why I can understand their point about the pool tables. They do require space, which drives up rent. I looked into opening a pool hall, but I couldn't make the numbers work without having at least 10-20 tables.

Of course I have. For over 40 years.

You must go to some very posh pool halls.

Just in case, you and I are not enemies, KRC. We disagree on this subject...

311859[/snapback]

Actually, I don't. The dives, to me, are better. And even in the dives, I've never had a problem.

The funniest thing is that even though they are coming to Buffalo, which not many business venture to do nowadays, people still gotta find something to B word about. NO POOL TABLES! Tough sh-t.

Great idea, email them and bust their balls about coming to Buffalo. BRILLIANT!

311763[/snapback]

You can play billiards around the corner

Bogie's Billiards

8216 Main St.

Clarence

On a somewhat related note the Walden Galleria mall in Cheektowaga is planning a $50 million expansion that will include the upscale Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, and Abuelos Mexican Food Embassy restaurants along with an 18 screen cinema along with a pool hall and video arcade.  Good news for those of us who are sick of average chain restaurants like Applebee's and TGI Fridays and want good quality food.  The Buffalo News article about this is at: http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050420/1071323.asp

311803[/snapback]

I've been to 'The Cheesecake Factory' and 'Abuelo's' in Columbus, OH...both are good, IMHO. We have a 'Ruth's Chris Steakhouse' here in Richmond...waaaaaaaaaaay overpriced.

Are you sure they are doing well, or riding on a bubble of eager (see Barnum) franchise buyers? 

311813[/snapback]

D&B is headquartered in Dallas. They're doing well - I have a friend who is an auditor there. No Enron issues.

It's good family entertainment during the day; kids are kicked out at night so it's adults only after 10pm.