MNF to ESPN, SNF to NBC

just more opportunity for the NFL to preempt a 5-5 Buffalo Bills vs 5-5 Seattle Seahawks type game for a 7-3 Atlanta Mexicans vs 1-9 Dallas Cowboys

308770[/snapback]

i do not like the idea of flexible scheduling. it's going to end up biting them in the a$$. if we had flexible scheduling for MNF last year, we would have missed NE/MIA, DAL/SEA, KC/TEN, DAL/WAS, KC/BAL, TB/SEA......these were all very good games on MNF last year. games that "didn't mean anything".

I will LMAO when they are stuck with a blowout between 2 playoff bound teams and they miss out on the Game of the Year between AZ and CLE.

my point being, 7 weeks into the season, even if you know which teams suck and which one's are advancing, how can you predict the outcome of ANY nfl game??? you can't, so stop trying.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that Disney will want teams from larger markets, like NYC, San Fran, Boston, Miami, etc., on MNF so that they can have the games on their ABC affliates (as well as on ESPN) in the larger markets. This thinking will give advantages to larger market teams, thus being a disadvantage to ther Bills.

308810[/snapback]

This is not a change to the existing rules.

NFL rules require that when a team is on the road, its games are shown on _free_ (i.e., not cable or dish) television in their home market. When the Bills are playing in New England on a Sunday night, for example, that game will be carried by the ABC affiliate in Buffalo as well as on ESPN.

And of course, the networks already get to choose what teams they show in prime time. Nothing is changing here, either.

I like the Sunday night game on free TV for a few reasons, not the least of which it makes flexible scheduling practical. Now the league won't piss off people by moving their Sunday afternoon game to a Monday night. They simply push it off a few hours. Brilliant, IMO.

NFL rules require that when a team is on the road, its games are shown on _free_ (i.e., not cable or dish) television in their home market. When the Bills are playing in New England on a Sunday night, for example, that game will be carried by the ABC affiliate in Buffalo as well as on ESPN. 

And of course, the networks already get to choose what teams they show in prime time.  Nothing is changing here, either.

I like the Sunday night game on free TV for a few reasons, not the least of which it makes flexible scheduling practical.  Now the league won't piss off people by moving their Sunday afternoon game to a Monday night.  They simply push it off a few hours. Brilliant, IMO.

308858[/snapback]

The difference from Disney's standpoint is that now they won't have automatic MNF games on their broadcast stations (owned-ABC stations).

At the end of the day, Disney would much rather have more meaningful games on MNF than favoring large market teams. It's highly unlikely that Disney will lose viewers by moving to cable from broadcast, as anyone who is interested in watching MNF also has ESPN.

And of course, the networks already get to choose what teams they show in prime time.  Nothing is changing here, either.

I like the Sunday night game on free TV for a few reasons, not the least of which it makes flexible scheduling practical.  Now the league won't piss off people by moving their Sunday afternoon game to a Monday night.  They simply push it off a few hours. Brilliant, IMO.

308858[/snapback]

The difference is that the games involved before were Sunday night games. Now we're talking about the more lucrative Monday night advertising.

The difference is that the games involved before were Sunday night games. Now we're talking about the more lucrative Monday night advertising.

308905[/snapback]

Actually Sunday night is the big ratings night for TV.