How about this draft scenario?

A lot can happen between now and next Saturday, but how about this scenario:

Step 1: assuming Seattle trades Shaun Alexander somewhere on draft day...

Step 2: The Bills swap TH and our second (55th pick) for Seattle's #1 (23rd pick). We then draft either OT Khalif Barnes or Jammal Brown, whomever is still on the board.

End Result: Assuming both players develop (never a given), we end up with our starting OLT and QB for the next 6-10 years for the cost of three second and one fifth round draft choice (the TH selection in 2001, the second and fifth we gave Dallas last year, and our 55th pick in 2005).

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/seaha...p-4399210c.html

Clue me in again:  is Alexander an unrestricted free agent?

307411[/snapback]

He's been given the franchise tag, but has not signed the one-year tender offer yet. Seattle's asking for less than a #1 pick, which seems a resonable price to pay for the 2004 NFC rushing leader.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seah...844_hawk11.html

TH and 2nd to SEA for 1st (23)

NC to WAS for 1st (9)

Trade WAS 1st down to mid 1st and pickup 2nd

draft a CB and OT and Nuge

we'll get a replacement for NC (who's leaving), a real kicker, and a better OT than Shelton, and Arizona has to spend their pick on a RB. Good job Denny! :doh:

TH and 2nd to SEA for 1st (23)

NC to WAS for 1st (9)

Trade WAS 1st down to mid 1st and pickup 2nd

draft a CB and OT and Nuge

we'll get a replacement for NC (who's leaving), a real kicker, and a better OT than Shelton, and Arizona has to spend their pick on a RB. Good job Denny! 

Same suggestion, but deal NC to WAS for 1st(9) AND their 4th(112). I want more value for Nate, or else keep him.

TH and our 2nd(55) to SEA for their 1st (23), Trade WAS 1st to MIN for their #18 mid 1st (they have 2 picks) and pick up their #49.

At 18: Khalif Barnes, OT, Washington

At 23: Fabian Washington, CB, Nebraska

At 49: Chris Spencer, C, Mississippi (or DT Patterson or K Nugent)

At 86: Rian Wallace, OLB, Temple (or WR J.R. Russell or Kevin Everett, TE, Miami)

This was my wild eyed scenario yesterday....I would amend this only in that I might draft Marlin Jackson or Fabian Washington instead of Carlos Rogers--but that's the bills decision...pure speculation--hot stove stuff--not serious at all.

With TD anything is within the realm of possibility. That is why I will be at least keeping an eye on the draft even though as it stands right now, we won't pick until 5-6 PM ET or so a week from today.

Here's one----McNally covets Khalif Barnes and somewhat Alex Barron -- if you remember after the combine he was comparing Barnes to what he saw from Anothony Munoz. The great thing about Barnes is that he is projected to go anywhere from the early twenties to the early 30's....This will be a cheap price for a left tackle for 5 years....around $2.5 Million a year average...

1) Trade Henry and #86 (3rd round) to Eagles for #31

2) Trade Clements to Washington for #9 and #112 (4th round)- Snyder would easily do this.

3) Trade #9 to KC so they can draft a top flight corner for #15 and #46--it fills KC's one remaining need...Kiper has Pac Man Jones at 9

So now we have #15, #31, #46, #55, #112, #122.....we have Vincent to play corner, we have Baker to play safety...at #15 we draft Carlos Rogers-CB Auburn to groom to replace Vincent at CB-Rogers fits our D and is battle tested--he immediately steps in at #3 and maybe gives McGee a run for his money at #2. At #31 we draft Khalif Barnes to groom at LT. At #46, we draft the best interior OL available (Spencer, Bass, etc) to compete at C and at #55 if available we draft Nugent...Three solid rookies--all good charachter all not having to start right away-but all add serious depth and perhaps the best kicker in the draft in a long time...

It would be just like TD--start the draft thinking you won't have to pick until 6 PM and then have 4 picks by that time There is virtually no cap hit to trading Clements and Henry so you have the rookie cap to afford this after the trades....if we are going to play hot stove league you guys need to get a bit more off the wall!!!

Its fun to be crazy isn't it.... This would be TD's coup de grais...

Keep #86 and keep Clements.

For TH, Philly gives us one of their 2nds (#35), and one of their 5ths (#146).

We have 35, 55, 86, 122, 146, 156.

At 35: Marlin Jackson, CB, Michigan

At 55: Wesley Britt, OT, Alabama

At 86: If Jason Brown, G/C, North Carolina isn't there, JR Russell, WR, Louisville

At 122: Anthony Bryant, DT, Alabama

At 146: Darren Sproles, RB, Kansas State

At 156: Jerome Collins, TE, Notre Dame

At 197: Larry Brackins, WR, Pearl River CC

At 236: Mike Goolsby, ILB, Notre Dame

If this isn't fun, then go watch "Desperate Billsfans" on Fox.

So now we have #15, #31, #46, #55, #112, #122.....

307475[/snapback]

Geez, all I was proposing was to get back into Round 1 so we'd have a shot at one of the OT's who'll be there at 20-30. That seems realistic in terms of both the cap and what other GMs would be willing to do with TD.

Geez, all I was proposing was to get back into Round 1 so we'd have a shot at one of the OT's who'll be there at 20-30.    That seems realistic in terms of both the cap and what other GMs would be willing to do with TD.

307494[/snapback]

Just having a little fun...not trying to be realistic at all...

I want to keep Nate--and there is always the franchise tag--but that's probably close to $7 million to $8 million in cap room next year....don't know whether we will have that much space available.