Lexis Hybrid Preorders Set Record

I've wondered why they don't make that in the horrible beige color that was prevalent in the '70s and '80s.  That would pretty much complete the "trailerparky" look they seemed to be going for.

22685[/snapback]

ahahahahahahhahahahaha. I don't remember beige but I recall my mother saying that green was the top color. That was when she FINALLY convinced the old man she was done with station wagons (gold and green ones, puke) and she bought an orange Opel Mantra (1973). Those were the days.

Other ugly cars = Pacer, or was that a Gremlin with water retention? And who could forget the Chevy Citation hatchback. Ugh.

It is nice to see that the marketplace can dictate our environmental concerns: this is the thing that everyone on the Left said would never happen, i.e., that consumers would never be willing to spend more to get enviro-friendly products. But lo and behold, people are rushing to get all the hybrids.

22659[/snapback]

I agree with most of your post except for this. When have people on the left argued this? I am pleading ignorance here because I definitely haven't seen it, but I'll believe it if you have some quotes / evidence.

There is a real, viable trend recently of people who are willing to pay a premium on products that are better for them and their environment; witness the success of the Whole Foods company and the organic movement. I think cars are just a bigger deal all around, an extension of this mindset. And if this raises peoples' consciousness about the positives we can do these products, the prices become more accessible for all.

I agree with most of your post except for this.  When have people on the left argued this?  I am pleading ignorance here because I definitely haven't seen it, but I'll believe it if you have some quotes / evidence.

There is a real, viable trend recently of people who are willing to pay a premium on products that are better for them and their environment; witness the success of the Whole Foods company and the organic movement.  I think cars are just a bigger deal all around, an extension of this mindset.  And if this raises peoples' consciousness about the positives we can do these products, the prices become more accessible for all.

22723[/snapback]

Happens all the time. That's why they always want the government to solve it.

Happens all the time.  That's why they always want the government to solve it.

22746[/snapback]

I don't buy it. Anyway, you've got me on record as a liberal who thinks this is a great idea.

But IF the government were to give incentives for auto companies to speed up this process and offer more of these cars sooner, which I think is one of Kerry's better plans, it would not be the most egregious subsidization this government has offered. It's obvious the marketplace is ready for more hybrids; why are the automakers stuck in third gear if the demand is there?

I don't buy it.  Anyway, you've got me on record as a liberal who thinks this is a great idea.

But IF the government were to give incentives for auto companies to speed up this process and offer more of these cars sooner, which I think is one of Kerry's better plans, it would not be the most egregious subsidization this government has offered.  It's obvious the marketplace is ready for more hybrids; why are the automakers stuck in third gear if the demand is there?

23400[/snapback]

If it's one of his better plans, why hasn't he offered it up over the last 19 years?

If it's one of his better plans, why hasn't he offered it up over the last 19 years?

23588[/snapback]

Actually, he has voted for such twice over the past several years (and not voted against it, for once). While simultaneously voting not to tighten fuel standards.

Overall, it's not his most inconsistent stance... :pirate: