In The Hole !

I love golf. Masters week is one of the best sports weeks of the year, IMHO. It is for me, at least. The tradition is amazing. Seeing Jack & Arnie play is wonderful.

296783[/snapback]

'Specially since Hootie and the boys don't let the broads play. :lol:

'Specially since Hootie and the boys don't let the broads play.  :lol:

296804[/snapback]

Actually, women can play Augusta. They just can't be primary members. Which is still a crock of sh-- IMHO, but it's a private club and I support fully the right of a private club to choose it's membership.

I wrote a letter to Martha Burke asking her if she'd support my desire to become a member of The Rochester Athletic Club for Women. I didn't get a response. B word.

I was about 20 yards away when Vijay took the shot and it sounded like he hit it fat.  He had Perry on the ropes, but his shot selection was just way too aggressive... there's no way he would have lost had he hit it to the middle of the green (Perry was cooked after missing his par on 17).

I saw an interview with Vijay afterward and he said he aimed at the flag because "that's what Arnie would have done," and he really wanted to win Bay Hill badly after finishing second twice.

The guy who was really pulling trick shots out of his a$$ was Sergio Garcia.  After he hit his drive on par 5 16th into the 18th hole tee area (I have no idea how he did that...it's about 75 yards from the 16th fairway!), he hit a blind second shot OVER the 17th hole grandstand and landed it in a spot about 10 feet in front of the lake guarding 17.  He hit back across to 16 on his third stroke and ended up parring the hole.  I've never seen anything like it.

296776[/snapback]

I was at that tournament. I doubt Vijay was going for the flag, rather he was going for the middle of the green and mishit his shot. His drive down the right-center of the fairway really left him no other options.

Perry hit his drive down the left side, which left him a better angle to the green. It also gave him bail out room, if he needed it.

The 16th is a short par 5. It's an eagle/birdie hole. Sergio hit his drive way right, in the rough between the 16th and 18th fairways. The 16th is tree lined, so any shot to the green was blocked, as was a shot back to the fairway. So Garcia hit his shot forward, further right, over the grandstand on the 17th (par 3) green, into the rough next to the green.

From there he had a clear shot to the 16th green, about 120 yards. He hit the green and two-putted for par.

It was a good par, but guys who par this hole on the weekend really end up falling behind, because the contenders either eagle or birdie the 16th.

As for smokers, Tim Herron, Darren Clarke, Tommy Armour III, and Joey Sindelar also smoke on the course.

I was at that tournament.  I doubt Vijay was going for the flag, rather he was going for the middle of the green and mishit his shot. His drive down the right-center of the fairway really left him no other options.

Perry hit his drive down the left side, which left him a better angle to the green.  It also gave him bail out room, if he needed it.

297309[/snapback]

http://www.pga.com/news/tours/pga-tour/bayhill032005.cfm

"I was trying to win the golf tournament,'' Singh said. "If I had to do it again, I probably would have hit a different club, played safer a little bit and hopefully see if Kenny made a mistake. But that's not the way I play. I play aggressive and I went for the flag. It just came up a little short.''

"It looked like it was going to fly right next to the hole,'' Perry said. "From my angle you're thinking, 'Man, that looks perfect.' And then to see it ... I was stunned.''

No longer needing to match Singh's aggressive play, Perry hit safely to the middle of the green some 70 feet away, lagged to 2 feet and closed with a 2-under 70 for a two-shot victory over Singh (69) and Graeme McDowell (66).

http://www.pga.com/news/tours/pga-tour/bayhill032005.cfm

"I was trying to win the golf tournament,'' Singh said. "If I had to do it again, I probably would have hit a different club, played safer a little bit and hopefully see if Kenny made a mistake. But that's not the way I play. I play aggressive and I went for the flag. It just came up a little short.''

"It looked like it was going to fly right next to the hole,'' Perry said. "From my angle you're thinking, 'Man, that looks perfect.' And then to see it ... I was stunned.''

No longer needing to match Singh's aggressive play, Perry hit safely to the middle of the green some 70 feet away, lagged to 2 feet and closed with a 2-under 70 for a two-shot victory over Singh (69) and Graeme McDowell (66).

297351[/snapback]

These two guys are dressing up a bad shot. Singh would have been out of his mind if he was going for that sucker-pin placement. Especially since birdies are often made from the middle of the green. Tiger made one a couple of years ago to beat Phil and win the tournament.

And Perry wouldn't have altered his shot even if Singh knocked it stiff. He was going for the middle of the green the whole way.

The reason Robert Gamez has a plaque in the fairway for holing out on Sunday is the near impossiblity of the shot made his accomplishment extrordinary. That's why the pros shoot for the left side of the 18th fairway, and the middle of the green on Sundays. Anyone who says different is covering up a bad shot.

Ooh, Ah...I'm Number Eight!

http://www.sunbowl.org/careerearnings.htm

:ph34r:  :)

297774[/snapback]

Number eight with an anchor tied to your ankle? :)

Seriously did you see him at Bay Hill? It's painful to watch. He was in the middle of the fairway on 18 on Friday morning, and hit a weak fade right into the middle of the lake. (The pin was on the left side).

Somehow this guy has just lost it. It's sad to see.

I dont like the "look at me" thing either. Show a little class. It won't hurt you.

BTW- I just puchased a new set of S59 Ping Blades. The factory is making them as i type this. Z-65 SS, oversized Grips, and a New G-2 Driver, 3 Metal and I am ready for summer. C'mon sun. Cook this desert so I can go play....

I have this nagging feeling he's just marking time until he can join the Women's Senior Golf Tour.  Only nine more years to go!

On the Tee...Dana Duval!  :ph34r:

297850[/snapback]

Ooof, that's cold. :)

Yup, I hate the gallery yelling.  Hell if they want to be rednecks, go watch racing or wrestling. 

Trust me if I ever got good enough to play on a tour I would get someone like Tigers caddy to shut them up.

297734[/snapback]

Yeah, only rich snobs or their wannabe boot lickers should be in a golf gallery. Party on, Smithers.