Fairfax Wegmans

It will happen.  It's not a matter of if anymore, it's when.  I think it will be about 20 years and there will be at least 1 store in Florida and it will dominate due to all the former Western NYers down there.

295530[/snapback]

I agree completely. My question is what's taking them so long? I'm not a market analyst or anything, but I think that the potential for success in Palm Beach would be much higher than in Warrington, PA. Does Winn-Dixie really have that strong of a foothold?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree completely. My question is what's taking them so long? I'm not a market analyst or anything, but I think that the potential for success in Palm Beach would be much higher than in Warrington, PA. Does Winn-Dixie really have that strong of a foothold?

295541[/snapback]

No. Publix does.

Close to where I work, they just closed a Publix to build another one exactly 700 yards away from the first one. It roughly twice the size, and its really, really nice inside.

That being said, its no where close to Wegmans. Really, you people that get to shop at Wegmans should never be able to complain about grocery shopping. Wegmans is amazing.

Winn Dixie is trash. I often find myself the ONLY one (seriously) in the whole store whose native language is English. They often have meat on sale Buy1Get2 free. I'm sorry, but that's not right. Meat shouldnt be that cheap - ever. Oh, and the stores are just filthy.

But Publix are nice, especially the newer ones.

It will happen.  It's not a matter of if anymore, it's when.  I think it will be about 20 years and there will be at least 1 store in Florida and it will dominate due to all the former Western NYers down there.

295530[/snapback]

NO......... it will not dominate due to all the former western NYer's down there. It will be NUMBER ONE because it is the BEST supermarket in the country, HANDS DOWN!

They are not Winn-Dixie, they do not want to be Winn-Dixie, Wegman's is the standard in their industry.

I'll give it my best shot, but I'm not all that familiar with the area since every week there are 300 new condo complexes on what was once undeveloped land.  It's near the intersection of I-66 and Rt. 50, sort of "across the street" from I-66 and Fair Oaks Mall (although I don't think you can "cross" from the mall to this area.  More specifically, it's off of Lee Hwy (rt 29) on Monument Drive, right next to the massive Fairfax County Government Complex.  Mapquest the addy for more specific directions: 

11620 Monument Drive, Fairfax, VA.

Hope this helps.

295221[/snapback]

Directions courtsey of Wegmans:

http://www.wegmans.com/about/storeLocator/...sp?store_nbr=16

Warning: So electronic maps including google are wrong so look at Wegmans map first

I'm hoping that they make it to NC.  A lady in Harris Teeter, our grocery store, who is from Hamburg said they may.  Hope, hope :rolleyes:

295041[/snapback]

They open two stores per year in order to assure quality.

You can look on their website for which stores are next. I believe they have the next few sites listed there. Don't recall seeing NC though.

Whenever I have to go to WinnDixie, I feel like I need a shower I leave.

295562[/snapback]

And if you know what's good for you, you will.

Welcome to the 21st century and the 2nd civil war. The Mason-Dixon line is no longer the division between North and South... the Wegmans-Harris Teeter line is.

And if you know what's good for you, you will.

Welcome to the 21st century and the 2nd civil war. The Mason-Dixon line is no longer the division between North and South... the Wegmans-Harris Teeter line is.

295887[/snapback]

What is that in your avatar? I saw it flash on the screen during CSI.

1. One wonders how long it will be before Wal-Mart grocery sales begin to affect Wegmans. Wal-Mart has really stuck it to other grocers in other areas of the country.

2. Did anyone notice that the big-a$$ Tops Market on Maple Road closed for renovations and will be reopened as a "Martin's"? Makes you wonder how much longer the "Tops" brand name will remain in existence.

1. One wonders how long it will be before Wal-Mart grocery sales begin to affect Wegmans. Wal-Mart has really stuck it to other grocers in other areas of the country.

2. Did anyone notice that the big-a$$ Tops Market on Maple Road closed for renovations and will be reopened as a "Martin's"? Makes you wonder how much longer the "Tops" brand name will remain in existence.

296111[/snapback]

1. Wal-Mart has always been Wegmans biggest competition, but there is no comparison between the two, besides price. The quality at Wal-Mart sucks, especially their meat and produce. Their customer service isn't that great either.

2. I was talking with a friend of mine who works at Tops and she said that when Tops' owner was bought out by some other company, they decided to change the Tops name and go to Martins. Most Tops stores will be going to Martins soon. Some already have.

Wal-Mart has always been Wegmans biggest competition, but there is no comparison between the two, besides price.  The quality at Wal-Mart sucks, especially their meat and produce.  Their customer service isn't that great either.

296114[/snapback]

I once asked my wife about why shops for groceries where she does (weekly at Kroger, monthly at Whole Foods). She says that Whole Foods has the best natural foods by far, and that Kroger has a better overall selection and lower prices than either Tom Thumb or Albertsons.

I then asked her about Wal-Mart (there really isn’t one near our house, so they are not that convenient). She said that she’s only been there twice, but from what she has seen that [a] the fresh foods / meats / seafood / produce are lower quality than anywhere else, but the prices on brand-name packaged goods are far lower (up to 25%) than the other chains. Also, she said that Wal-Mart has a lot more “brand name” foods, and a lot more varieties of the “brand name” foods than other places. [Wegmans, for example, is notorious for NOT stocking certain brand names at the expense of humping their own “store brands”].

WalMart's deli section also has a very good fried chicken... as good as KFC and about 1/3 the price (seriously). . .

296180[/snapback]

There's just something about "wal-mart" and "food" that doesn't fit together. It's like drinking Genessee when you want beer.

[Wegmans, for example, is notorious for  NOT stocking certain brand names at the expense of humping their own “store brands”].

296171[/snapback]

hey, i love wegmans brand food...you can't tell the difference between their stuff and the name brand stuff

and it's currently all i can afford :huh:

hey, i love wegmans brand food...you can't tell the difference between their stuff and the name brand stuff

and it's currently all i can afford  :huh:

296490[/snapback]

I doubt that their "branded" food is made at different places than most store chains. There are only so many manufacturers of anything out there.

Case in point: We just bought a plasma television for the office. It was $1700 dollars because it was an off brand. After doing some research, it turns out that its made in the same plant as another name brand television that costs about $700 more.

I doubt that their "branded" food is made at different places than most store chains.  There are only so many manufacturers of anything out there.

Case in point:  We just bought a plasma television for the office.  It was $1700 dollars because it was an off brand.  After doing some research, it turns out that its made in the same plant as another name brand television that costs about $700 more.

296496[/snapback]

yep...alot of rebadged stuff...i.e. land'o'lakes makes wegmans butter/margarine, bison makes their yogurt, perry's makes their ice cream (though the formula is definetely different), etc...

Case in point:  We just bought a plasma television for the office.  It was $1700 dollars because it was an off brand.  After doing some research, it turns out that its made in the same plant as another name brand television that costs about $700 more.

296496[/snapback]

Right, like if you pick the right corner you can find a women who will make you happy for $20.

Or you can meet one somewhere, spend hundreds of dollars on movies, dinners, shows, and gifts and put in weeks of your time to get the same "product" you were looking for anyway.

And they both came from basically the same place...