Some quick thoughts about the game/going forward

jahnyc

Some thoughts below:

1.  The front office and owners of the Bills really will test us this season.  This potentially is a historically bad team lacking talent and depth with the prospect of starting a rookie QB because he may be the only real choice.  It was great that we broke the playoff drought last year, but to then have the likelihood of an extended rebuilding process immediately following is tough with no guarantees of success.

2.  Not sure if I have seen a team with so many units that need to be upgraded.  WRs and O-line may only have one or two quality starters between them.  No depth at LB or CB and we need a starting quality CB opposite White.  Our DEs are non-existent and we have no depth at LB and probably need at least one additional quality starting LB.  There are probably eight or nine starters who would not be starters on any other team.  

3.  As others have noted, it is easier to tear something down than build something strong and durable.  I was among those who were very disappointed that we were not able to keep our second round draft picks and the first round of the third round pick.  We needed these picks.  If you factor in the trade for Glenn which was the equivalent of getting a second round pick, we gave up a lot of value for Allen.  Obviously, if Allen is our franchise QB, it will have been worth it.

4.  The Bills will have a lot of cap room next offseason, but will they be able to sign free agents?  If Allen plays well and there is excitement about this future, then we may be okay.  If not, the Bills will be a tough sell for free agents and we will have to overpay to get players here.

5.  If today's game is any indication, Beane will have a lot of explaining to do about his free agent acquisitions this offseason.  Davis seems to have not recovered from his injury last season, Murphy has new injury issues and our o-line additions are ineffective.  Beane needed to find a starting CB opposite White and I don't think Davis or Gaines will be the answer.  

6.  Beane's player evaluation abilities will be under a microscope.  The Coleman trade made no sense since Cleveland likely would have released him.  Instead, we are now on the hook for his guaranteed money.  The Bills made some good acquisitions last year and I am wondering if the they miss Gaines (who became the GM of the Texans this offseason).

7.  I have no idea how we could have gone into this season with this o-line.  There was little or no chance that veteran players like Vlad, Bodine, Miller, Groy Mills and Newhouse were going to suddenly improve.  I understand that Woods needing to retire was unforeseen, but we needed to devote whatever resources we had into improving the o-line.  Bodine and Newhouse are not the answer.

8.  I don't think McD is a problem  He coached well last season and I think he will be a good coach for the Bills when he has the talent.  I hope Daboll will be the right choice for OC.  He has not had much success in the NFL as an OC with some bad teams and it will be hard to make judgments here with the lack of talent on offense.

Edited by jahnyc