Need advice

pm73

ok, so i've been unemployed for a little while now. i finally have gotten a job and it is with the federal govt. good job great benifits, ok pay, however, it takes me out of my chosen field. i am going into an interview tomorrow for a civil service position in my field but its with erie county. great benefits, much better pay...seems like a better position, if it lasts.

obviously, there is some apprehension to accepting employment with erie county the way things have been going. the job i just got, i could probably retire from (in about 30 yrs). who knows what is in store for any of the positions with the county. the difference between the two is the large gap in pay.

what kind of information would you want to know about the county position to make you feel comfortable about accpeting or rejecting it? i'm looking for poingant questions to ask my interviewers in order to be able to properly gauge the tradeoffs....ie. pay vs. security.

Can't you just say something like, "We both know that there's a lot of problems with the budget in Erie County. How do you know that the funding will be there for my position a year down the road? Five years?"

CW

Dare I ask... are either of these UNION jobs?

:lol:

270466[/snapback]

the fed is with the usps and the county is actually with boces, as a programmer/analyst for which i took a erie county civil service exam. i'm going to have to find out more specifics about where they get their money cuz i have a suspicion that boces is funded by nys. if so, thats a good thing and my dilema may be moot.

ok, so i've been unemployed for a little while now.  i finally have gotten a job and it is with the federal govt.  good job great benifits, ok pay, however, it takes me out of my chosen field.  i am going into an interview tomorrow for a civil service position in my field but its with erie county.  great benefits, much better pay...seems like a better position, if it lasts.

270328[/snapback]

Take the job that is in your chosen profession. You'll be better off in the long run. Hopefully you can transfer that job to the private sector at some point.

the fed is with the usps and the county is actually with boces, as a programmer/analyst for which i took a erie county civil service exam.  i'm going to have to find out more specifics about where they get their money cuz i have a suspicion that boces is funded by nys.  if so, thats a good thing and my dilema may be moot.

270711[/snapback]

BOCES????

You didn't mention that.

A BOCES job is very secure.

With the "No Child Left Behind Act", BOCES will always be a steady job. With the retarded children of second generation drug abusers entering the the school system with their LD, ED, ADHD, or whatever retard problems, their will be no shortage of BOCES students.

Somebody has to do hair and swing hammers

the fed is with the usps and the county is actually with boces, as a programmer/analyst for which i took a erie county civil service exam.  i'm going to have to find out more specifics about where they get their money cuz i have a suspicion that boces is funded by nys.  if so, thats a good thing and my dilema may be moot.

270711[/snapback]

The Post OFfice is horribly managed.

There is a reason why employees go postal.

Take the other job and get experience in your field. When the county collapses, you can move to a place with real jobs and get employment in your chosen field.