Don't count Prioleau as a cut too fast

I have seen a few posts from folks licking their salary cap chops and counting Prioleau's million dollar a year salary toward the cap and having him be cut as soon as Milloy is ready to return to action, Perhaps this may happen, but I would take into account a couple of factors before I start assuming it will turn out this way.

1. I believe (once again please correct me if I'm wrong but the CBA is too voluminous and is subject to constant amendment as the two parties fine tune it) that under the CBA after the second week of the season full season salaries are guaranteed even for players who are cut after two weeks. This makes sense because as teams sell their later game tickets and get their money in hand, but begin to fall out of the race, they could begin to save chunks of change by cutting expensive players unless they were on the hook for the money.

Unless Milloy is ready to come back relatively quickly there will be no savings from cutting Prioleau's hefty salary.

2. Prioleau actually earned some dollars last year as one of our better performers on ST. It was PP who blocked the punt in the KC game one of the few difference maker plays we got from this unit. One of my favorite plays last season was on a punt return by Santana Moss in which Wire and Stevenson both took bad angles to tackle this great returner. Prioleau not only had the intelligence to stay in his lane on the punt (the lamented HomrRun Thriw-up) but the speed to come all the way across and down the field to save the TD.

3. We're even more worried about ST after the performance the last two games and the fact they cut their leading ST tackler Stevenson Sunday. I'd wait to see what role he plays on ST before I declare him a goner and start counting his salary toward the cap.

We'll see.

I have seen a few posts from folks licking their salary cap chops and counting Prioleau's million dollar a year salary toward the cap and having him be cut as soon as Milloy is ready to return to action,  Perhaps this may happen, but I would take into account a couple of factors before I start assuming it will turn out this way.

1. I believe (once again please correct me if I'm wrong but the CBA is too voluminous and is subject to constant amendment as the two parties fine tune it) that under the CBA after the second week of the season full season salaries are guaranteed even for players who are cut after two weeks.  This makes sense because as teams sell their later game tickets and get their money in hand, but begin  to fall out of the race, they could begin to save chunks of change by cutting expensive players unless they were on the hook for the money.

Unless Milloy is ready to come back relatively quickly there will be no savings from cutting Prioleau's hefty salary.

2. Prioleau actually earned some dollars last year as one of our better performers on ST.  It was PP who blocked the punt in the KC game one of the few difference maker plays we got from this unit.  One of my favorite plays last season was on a punt return by Santana Moss in which Wire and Stevenson both took bad angles to tackle this great returner.  Prioleau not only had the intelligence to stay in his lane on the punt (the lamented HomrRun Thriw-up) but the speed to come all the way across and down the field to save the TD.

3. We're even more worried about ST after the performance the last two games and the fact they cut their leading ST tackler Stevenson Sunday.  I'd wait to see what role he plays on ST before I declare him a goner and start counting his salary toward the cap.

We'll see.

20356[/snapback]

I agree, I do not think PP will be cut now, unless the Bills really wanted the roster spot for someone else. That would be the only real motivating factor at this point that I see.

In fact, I thought he was a goner until Milloy got hurt, but not because of the cap savings, but because of the roster spot. After all, what are you going to do with $1 Million (actually, it would have been more like $780,000 anyway after you count the guy who takes his place if he's a first year UDFA) in cap savings unless there is someone available at another position you would like to have instead. It is highly unlikely that $780,000 would be enough, even with what other space the Bills may currently have, to get one of our 3 free agents locked up for example, even if they were willing to negotiate during the season (which would be a distraction and which is why teams and players generally do not do it).