How FA really works - SI article

Interesting article about how irrelevant the start of FA is and how teams who let pending FA go unsigned into their final season are "in for it":

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/22/free-agent-tampering-period-agents-players-mmqb

Notable quotes:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Listen to the words of one prominent agent, who’s going back with us through a timeline from a few years back, when a client of his hit the market. At this point, the agent is recounting leaving the combine in Indianapolis, with a week left before the legal tampering period, and how he absolutely knew by then that: A) he had his financial figure, and B) at least two teams would pay it."

"• SUPER BOWL: The agent and his wife run into the GM of (NFC Team 4) at the Nike Suite in a Super Bowl hotel. They have this exchange: 

“Are you drinking?” asks the GM.
“Hell yeah,” the agent answers.
“I love you,” the GM responds.
“I love you too,” the agent shoots back.
“Will my love and friendship get me (the player)?” the GM says.
“Yeah, that and (gigantic dollar figure) per year,” the agent says.
“It’s gonna be that high, isn’t it?” says the GM."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the bottom line WRT FA seems to be
1) "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin"
2) GMs and agents routinely use legit meetings about signed players and social interactions to feel each other out on deals for other team's FA
3) the whole system may not be in the best interests of the player as a player, because he is shopped to the highest bidder with minimal regard for scheme fit, quality of the team and coaches, etcetera.  But player and agent bank accounts thrive.

• Like (+1) 1