Keeping Dennison For "Continuity" Is Meaningless

BuffaloRush

While listening to some of the banter on the Rick Dennison debate, for the first time in a while I heard the dreaded c-word.   Not the c-word that Bills and Jaguars fans exchanged last weekend while tailgating, but "continuity."  Maintaining stability and continuity are obviously important to winning in the NFL.  However, continuity is something that has to be earned through performance.   For continuity to mean anything, you have to have the right people in positions, that either have been effective or show great improvement toward becoming effective.

Too often at One Bills Drive, I feel that "continuity" has been used a way to excuse poor performances and not to make changes - even when the results and performance on the field and in the organization heavily dictate that changes should be made.  Russ, Doug Whaley, Buddy Nix, and even Ralph Wilson would constantly preach continuity.  Many times, Russ or Buddy Nix would use "continuity" in the most extreme cases ever by discussing outliers like Pittsburgh or say "Bill Belichick has been coaching New England for 16 years and won 5 championships."  This argument would (and still does) drive me crazy, because they are extreme situations.   The reason coaches come back year-after-year is because they've established a proven record of success.  

My take is that if you think someone is the wrong fit for an important role or that their performance isn't good enough, forget continuity.  You need to empower the right people for the position.  That's why I give Terry Pegula a lot of credit.  He too preached continuity (likely prepped from Russ or Whaley) at the end of the '15 season and into training camp when Rex's failed to deliver during his first year as head coach.  As the 2016 season went on, it was pretty clear that things were headed in the wrong direction.  Rather than keeping "continuity," Terry got rid of Rex and started fresh with a new coach.  

If Rex was given a 3rd season, do you think the team still makes the playoffs?  How about if we gave another year to Dick Jauron or Chan Gailey?  I don't think that happens. 

This brings me to Rick Dennison.  When watching the Bills offense this season, there is very little evidence that points to a successful year as an offensive coordinator.  The offense took a big step back overall, was down in the run, and we saw Tyrod Taylor regress as a quarterback.  In the end it was Dennison's offense that cost the Bills an opportunity to move on in the playoffs in a  winnable. 

The only reason I can see bringing Dennsion back again is that word - "continuity."  I guess you could think his scheme - which was largely ineffective and uninspiring -  would be the same for a second season.  However, based on his inability to make adjustments and the fact that no noticeable improvement was seen throughout the entire season, why should another year make any difference.

Again, when you maintain continuity for continuity sake the only thing that continues is poor results.  Really hoping the Bills get a new OC.

Edited by BuffaloRush

So here’s my thing.... didnt Dennison come up under McCoy? McCoy has had some good success, same style offense no?

I don’t think people really have an issue with scheme, it’s more or less play calling. Dennison at times was baffling.

Why not grab McCoy then?

Oh and under McCoy in San Diego was Pete Metzelaars who was the TEs coach. Pete is now the Oline coach at Charlotte Christian???

Pete has a lot of prior experience as an Oline Coach at the NFL level 8 years with the Colts winning SB in 2006. Just options if McCoy gets to choose position coaches, which I doubt. Obviously the Buffalo connection makes it fun.

But I think McCoy would have a better grasp of the system and no doubt better play calling ability which was the issue most of the time with Dennison.