(OT) Jason Peters Project

.......can he be an answer for the offensive line?

266197[/snapback]

When he madwe the roster as an T, it was my sense that this was done primarily not because he was visualized as the future answer at tackle, but to emphasize to him that his future as a TE would be determined by him achieving at least an acceptable level as a blocker.

Peters made the PS because he demonstrated extraordinary speed and athleticism for a man his size and incredibly soft hands to boot. However, he did not stick on the roster because mentally he did not demonstrate the ability to pick-up and perform the switches necessary for a blocker when the center made line calls. Further he clearly needed more time to master even minimally pro blocking techniques.

He showed some progress and good attitude on the PS and made the roster because other teams seemed willing to possibly sign him to a roster level contract.

As a player he unfortunately showed a bit of the brain cramps feared as early on he got penalized for not reporting to the refs he was in as an eligible receiver even though he had an interior lineman number. However, when used on the scout team going up against our frontline OL players on ST, he proved to be unblockable and earned a spot on our punt, PAT, and FG blocking squad and turned that role into a quick six for us in his first game.

I would not count on Peters at all as a blocker for us, however, this is not because I don't think he can master this job over time, but because it would take him out of our plans as a pass catcher. If he proves to be enough of an athlete to win a starting job as a tackle, he is almost certainly enough of an athlete to earn a job at our now open position of TE.

Peters is currently listed at 328 lb.

If he could somehow get down to 310 lb and buckle down in his playbook studies by preseason, I think he could be our new starter at TE in the mold of a Bubba Franks.

It's sad, really, that this kid has all the potential in the world - I'm talking Pro Bowl talent - but a $.02 brain and questionable dedication.

P.S.: Why was this thread labelled as OT? :huh:

Peters is currently listed at 328 lb.

If he could somehow get down to 310 lb and buckle down in his playbook studies by preseason, I think he could be our new starter at TE in the mold of a Bubba Franks.

It's sad, really, that this kid has all the potential in the world - I'm talking Pro Bowl talent - but a $.02 brain and questionable dedication.

P.S.: Why was this thread labelled as OT?  :huh:

266261[/snapback]

He's listed on the depth chart as a OT.

On the roster his is listed as a OT with #85

When he madwe the roster as an T, it was my sense that this was done primarily not because he was visualized as the future answer at tackle, but to emphasize to him that his future as a TE would be determined by him achieving at least an acceptable level as a blocker.

Peters made the PS because he demonstrated extraordinary speed and athleticism for a man his size and incredibly soft hands to boot.  However, he did not stick on the roster because mentally he did not demonstrate the ability to pick-up and perform the switches necessary for a blocker when the center made line calls.  Further he clearly needed more time to master even minimally pro blocking techniques.

He showed some progress and good attitude on the PS and made the roster because other teams seemed willing to possibly sign him to a roster level contract.

As a player he unfortunately showed a bit of the brain cramps feared as early on he got penalized for not reporting to the refs he was in as an eligible receiver even though he had an interior lineman number.  However, when used on the scout team going up against our frontline OL players on ST, he proved to be unblockable and earned a spot on our punt, PAT, and FG blocking squad and turned that role into a quick six for us in his first game.

I would not count on Peters at all as a blocker for us, however, this is not because I don't think he can master this job over time, but because it would take him out of our plans as a pass catcher. If he proves to be enough of an athlete to win a starting job as a tackle, he is almost certainly enough of an athlete to earn a job at our now open position of TE.

266217[/snapback]

Peters will work exclusively at T. He has the physical tools, but he is a little short of gray matter.

Time will tell if he can overcome his mental shortcomings

He's a hell of a ball player with a wonderlic of -4. He will learn stuff by 07 :huh:

266250[/snapback]

Wonderlic Shmunderlic, that blocked kick and recovery was pure Einstein in my book. I'd develop him as a tight end you don't need to carry potato salad to a

Mensa meeting to play that position.