Playing for now and building for the future

Most of us before the season had no idea we would be on the top of the "In the hunt" list going into December. Despite the frustrating losses, it's pretty amazing to be in this spot with the glaring holes we still have. Holes that might be easily filled with so many draft picks, but if we have to package some to move up for our QB, then who really knows.

So....I'm hoping we somehow scrape into the playoffs this year, get that monkey off our back and then have a realistic outlook on building this team into a contender. That might mean not making it the 2018 season but then becoming a real powerhouse the following year and beyond.

Edited by ProcessTheTrust
  • Like (+1) 2

That's the goal.  A lot of people wanted to tank this season and we decided to try and win instead and being in the hunt with the talent we have, I'd say that's pretty good.  Even if they miss the playoffs, they have given me promise.  To take a slower, older defense and turn them into a reasonable defense gives me hope.  The previous couple games have sucked but we've had some really solid games too.  Can't wait to see what our defensive head coach and Leslie Frazer can do with a little more talent.  I'm intrigued...that's for sure.  

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

That's the goal.  A lot of people wanted to tank this season and we decided to try and win instead and being in the hunt with the talent we have, I'd say that's pretty good.  Even if they miss the playoffs, they have given me promise.  To take a slower, older defense and turn them into a reasonable defense gives me hope.  The previous couple games have sucked but we've had some really solid games too.  Can't wait to see what our defensive head coach and Leslie Frazer can do with a little more talent.  I'm intrigued...that's for sure.  

If we can grab that 6th spot, I'm sure many fans will expect we progress to being even better next year. If we land a hands-down franchise QB who can make an instant impact and cover for other huge holes, maybe. Keeping a realistic perspective, what we pay to move up to get that guy probably keeps us 1 more year out and buys McBeane more time after killing the "curse".

1 minute ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

If we can grab that 6th spot, I'm sure many fans will expect we progress to being even better next year. If we land a hands-down franchise QB who can make an instant impact and cover for other huge holes, maybe. Keeping a realistic perspective, what we pay to move up to get that guy probably keeps us 1 more year out and buys McBeane more time after killing the "curse".

They better LOVE anyone they trade up for.  Hoping the guy they want falls to them so they don't have to trade up but that seems unlikely with where the picks are currently.  I would love to attempt to fill the holes with young players.  We have too many 30 somethings on the defense.  We will see which direction they go

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

They better LOVE anyone they trade up for.  Hoping the guy they want falls to them so they don't have to trade up but that seems unlikely with where the picks are currently.  I would love to attempt to fill the holes with young players.  We have too many 30 somethings on the defense.  We will see which direction they go

Short of KC completely collapsing and giving us a close to top 10 pick, I don't know if we wait for our guy. I think Beane made it clear that's the #1 objective. I hear talk of maybe skipping on getting their for sure guy this year. I don't buy it.

Walk away from this draft with 2 things - your QB and your nasty gamechanging MLB. Those 2 things can make up for the other gaping holes that still remain.

1 minute ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

Short of KC completely collapsing and giving us a close to top 10 pick, I don't know if we wait for our guy. I think Beane made it clear that's the #1 objective. I hear talk of maybe skipping on getting their for sure guy this year. I don't buy it.

I don't buy it either but who knows where they decide to go.  There are a lot of other guys in free agency.  Another option is taking a guy like Sam Bradford or maybe Alex Smith becomes available.  Better passers that can be a nice 1 year fill in but I highly doubt that happens.  I think they will be looking to trade up in the draft.  I just hope we don't lose all of the picks this year.  We need young talent to fill some of the holes.

• Like (+1) 1

Why is this season any different from any other one in recent memory?  Just because some fans thought it was a tank year doesn't make it so....and just the same I don't see much more than the standard chance of a playoff appearance either.  Looks to me like the same old story, just with a different Coach and Roster.  On and on and on it goes!

2 hours ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

Walk away from this draft with 2 things - your QB and your nasty gamechanging MLB. Those 2 things can make up for the other gaping holes that still remain.

Problem is having a guy they love....aside from Lamar Jackson, and maybe Baker Mayfield (but hes like 4 foot 6, and doesnt fit this regimes mold of character guys) I don't really think theres a reason to give up a lot for anyone. Average at best. Wish I knew the solution (and was hoping TT would progress/Peterman could actually be good). There is not a lot of QB hope on the horizon, even IF we had the number 1 pick. 

• Like (+1) 1