Some stats on the QB FA's

I had posted that Kelly Holcomb was a average QB and not a lot better than having Rob Johnson ... person replies that Rob was fantasic andhad great numbers ... and that Kelly was the best FA to pick ...

So here is a list of the FA QB's and their ratings ....

Shane Matthews UFA Bills 75.0 but not a real option

Jim Miller UFA Patriots 75.2 mostly with the Bears

Sage Rosenfels UFA Dolphins 51.9 - barely has played

Josh Harris ERFA Ravens 0 - rookie

Kordell Stewart UFA Ravens 70.7 - similar QB to JP - good option

Kelly Holcomb UFA Browns 77.6 - signed by the Bills

Charlie Batch UFA Steelers 76.8 - mostly with Lions - similar QB to JP / good option

Tony Banks UFA Texans 72.5 similar QB to JP - good option

Matt Mauck ERFA Broncos 0 - rookie

Bradlee Van Pelt ERFA Broncos No info

Todd Collins UFA Chiefs 70.4 - we have had him before - hardly played last 7 years

Damon Huard UFA Chiefs 74.3 - not much experiance

David Rivers ERFA Raiders 0 - rookie

Drew Brees UFA Chargers Signed by Chargers

Mike McMahon UFA Lions 55 - no experiance

Rick Mirer UFA Lions 63.5 - to old

Craig Nall RFA Packers 139 but no experiance

Doug Pederson UFA Packers 62.3

Gus Frerotte UFA Vikings 76.1 similar QB to JP - good option

Shaun Hill ERFA Vikings 0 - rookie

Josh McCown RFA Cardinals 70.9 -watched him in the Arizona game - to young

Matt Hasselbeck UFA Seahawks 83.7 - soild starter - unlikely to be a backup

Brock Huard UFA Seahawks 80.3 - not much experiance

Ty Detmer UFA Falcons 74.7 - not much last 5 years but could be a backup

Rod Rutherford ERFA Panthers 0 - rookie

Vinny Testaverde UFA Cowboys Fossil - beat out by Drew

Jesse Palmer UFA Giants 59.8

Jeff Blake UFA Eagles 77.9 - similar QB to JP - good option

Tim Hasselbeck ERFA Redskins 63.6 not much experiance

So there were some other options - downside I see to Kelly is that he is not mobile - would think someone similar to JP would be better if they build a offense to match him you would want the backup to be similar

I guess if money is the only factor ... then yes ... but you get what you play for (somethimes) and I think a solid backup (close to starter level) for a 1-3 year contract covers your butt if JP is a bust ... plus you want a similar QB to mentor JP ... "who has waiting for this all of his life"

I guess if money is the only factor ... then yes ... but you get what you play for (somethimes) and I think a solid backup (close to starter level) for a 1-3 year contract covers your butt if JP is a bust ... plus you want a similar QB to mentor JP ... "who has waiting for this all of his life"

264768[/snapback]

In the Bills particular situation, I think you don't need so much a mentor for Losman, as you do a good, smart guy and teammate, which Holcomb is. The Bills have an offensive guy as their head coach, a very smart and articulate ex Quarterback as their OC, and an excellent quarterbacks coach in Sam Wyche to tutor Losman in how to be a QB in the NFL. You need his back-up to be the young guy his own age, willing to talk with him about what's going on on the field and to be there for him and supportive of him. That is what I see in Holcomb. It would be different if we still had Gregg Williams and Killdrive and no QB coach like two years ago. Then you would need a "mentor" much more for Losman.

I had posted that Kelly Holcomb was a average QB and not a lot better than having Rob Johnson ... person replies that Rob was fantasic andhad great numbers ... and that Kelly was the best FA to pick ...

264759[/snapback]

Actually, my EXACT response was:

QB Rating means nothing.  Rob Johnson had a great QB rating and he sucked harder than a $2.00 whore on her period the day her rent's due.

Holcomb has been the starter in Cleveland.  Please name me a player on their offense that could start on ours.  Good luck.  Yet in the ONE game he started last season he throws for over 400 yards and FIVE touchdowns.  Only once last season did Drew throw for those numbers over a TWO game period (@ Seattle/@ Miami).

263949[/snapback]

I guess that means somehow RJ was fantastic. ;)

Your list is so full of holes and there is significantly more to being a QB than mobility. But soldier on under the impression that Kordell Stewart and Ty freakin' Detmer are serviceable NFL QBs.

So here is a list of the FA QB's and their ratings ....

Shane Matthews UFA Bills  75.0 but not a real option

Jim Miller UFA Patriots  75.2 mostly with the Bears

Sage Rosenfels UFA Dolphins  51.9 - barely has played

Josh Harris ERFA Ravens  0 - rookie

Kordell Stewart UFA Ravens  70.7 - similar QB to JP - good option

Kelly Holcomb UFA Browns  77.6 - signed by the Bills

Charlie Batch UFA Steelers  76.8 - mostly with Lions - similar QB to JP / good option

Tony Banks UFA Texans  72.5 similar QB to JP - good option

Matt Mauck ERFA Broncos  0 - rookie

Bradlee Van Pelt ERFA Broncos  No info

Todd Collins UFA Chiefs  70.4 - we have had him before - hardly played last 7 years

Damon Huard UFA Chiefs  74.3 - not much experiance

David Rivers ERFA Raiders  0 - rookie

Drew Brees UFA Chargers  Signed by Chargers

Mike McMahon UFA Lions  55 - no experiance

Rick Mirer UFA Lions  63.5 - to old

Craig Nall RFA Packers  139 but no experiance

Doug Pederson UFA Packers  62.3

Gus Frerotte UFA Vikings  76.1 similar QB to JP - good option

Shaun Hill ERFA Vikings  0 - rookie

Josh McCown RFA Cardinals  70.9 -watched him in the Arizona game - to young

Matt Hasselbeck UFA Seahawks  83.7 - soild starter - unlikely to be a backup

Brock Huard UFA Seahawks  80.3 - not much experiance

Ty Detmer UFA Falcons  74.7 - not much last 5 years but could be a backup

Rod Rutherford ERFA Panthers  0 - rookie

Vinny Testaverde UFA Cowboys  Fossil - beat out by Drew

Jesse Palmer UFA Giants  59.8

Jeff Blake UFA Eagles  77.9 - similar QB to JP - good option

Tim Hasselbeck ERFA Redskins  63.6 not much experiance

So there were some other options - downside I see to Kelly is that he is not mobile - would think someone similar to JP would be better if they build a offense to match him you would want the backup to be similar

264759[/snapback]

You cannot seriously tell us that you'd rather have Charlie Batch, Gus Frerotte or friggin KORDELL over Holcomb.