All this talk about a move to a 3-4 defense...why?

First....does Gray have any experience coaching that scheme?

Second...Is Sam Adams nose tackle material? If I remember correctly from his days in Seattle and Baltimore he always played in a 4-3 defense.

Third....why the need for a change? Just because you lose one player off a very good defense? Ron Edwards will be okay replacing PW. He has shown enough in spurts over the last two years to make me believe, that even though there will be a drop off, it will not be a huge one.

Because everybody else is either doing it or talking about doing it. If some coaches weren't trying to bring it back in a sense then no one would have mentioned it at all.

Everyone seems to feel comfortable following suit to what everyone else is doing that has seemed to work a little bit for them thinking if we do it we can get a little bit better too. IMHO when you keep changing schemes O and D the players never get comfortable and will never excel in that scheme. Stick with 1 and GITERDONE!!!

Adams played nose tackle briefly in his final year at Baltimore, but that was purely out of necessity and not because Adams is a good fit for NT.

We'll be ok with Edwards starting in our traditional 4-3. What I like most about Edwards is that he is in his final contract year for 2005. And we all know how much harder players try when they are about to hit the market! Think 8-10 sacks and lots of backfield tackles!!

Adams played nose tackle briefly in his final year at Baltimore, but that was purely out of necessity and not because Adams is a good fit for NT.

We'll be ok with Edwards starting in our traditional 4-3. What I like most about Edwards is that he is in his final contract year for 2005. And we all know how much harder players try when they are about to hit the market! Think 8-10 sacks and lots of backfield tackles!!

260290[/snapback]

Good point on RE. If ever there was a time for him to step up his play, it would be in a contract year.