[OT] Fellow Local Hoop Fans

taterhill

They could both get automatic bids. Niagara has a bye into the Metro Atlantic Semifinals. The tournament is at the HSBC Arena in Buffalo so that's pretty much like Niagara is playing at home. They only need two wins to get in. UB has to be considered a favorite to win the Mid-America tournament. They have gotten hot at the right time. I would guess one of the two will get in, if not both.

I am very excited about the possibility of having 2 local NCAA hoops teams in the tourney....Here is ESPN's predictions for the brackets......

Bracketology

Niagara should make it according to them, with UB being one of the last teams on the bubble....

254310[/snapback]

They have NU projected to play Kentucky in the first round. I still remember how close the Bonnies came to knocking off UK back in 2000...Tim Winn, Caswell Cyrus, David Messiah Capers and the rest nearly pulled it off. Sigh.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?p...2005bubblewatch

Any way you slice it, the two biggest games in UB history are coming up. Wednesday vs. Ohio. If they win that game, then it's a showdown at home vs. Akron. That game could well determine if we get an at-large bid to the NCAA's. (see link, scroll down)

Right now the MAC East has 4 teams tied for 2nd at 10-6: UB, Akron, Ohio, and Kent State. What a horserace! I do think the Bulls have an NIT bid sewn up at this point, which is still an accomplishment.

You'd think the Buffalo News would be covering this more.

PTR

I don't understand how teams with 10 or 11 losses are in, and the Bulls with 7 losses are on the bubble.  If they win the last two games, they are 20-7.  They deserve an at-large bid for that.

PTR

254679[/snapback]

Its really an interesting process as far as selection is concerned. A lot has to do with RPI, good wins, bad losses, etc. Buffalo, while competitive, have an RPI in the mid-60's currently. That is not good enough unless some major teams slip up in front of them before their conference tournaments. Their only good wins come against Kent (RPI - 72) and Miami (RPI - 43). Miami (OH) is a mystery to me. Their RPI is solid but they are not that strong of a team from what i have witnessed personally. I saw them get embarrassed against my Bulldogs (Butler) at the beginning of the season and we currently have an RPI in the low 200s. Two good wins (not necessarily great wins) for the Bulls really doesn't help them enough without a few other things falling into place.

The only chance they have of getting an at-large is if they win the next two regular season games, and then win their way to the MAC Championship game. If they lose that game on a bad call, a buzzer-beater, or some other strange event they have an outside chance. I was surprised to be informed that the selectors do pay attention to how a game is lost in terms of at-large bids hinging on championship game results.

Schools that sometimes have as few as 5 losses (see Butler 2002) with more quality wins are left out of the tournament. Be that as it may, UB should be proud and assuming they don't lose in the first round of the MAC tourney, they should get an NIT birth which is great for their program. Hopefully they can keep it up without Battle next year.