What if we had "prototypical" at QB: A Thought Experiment

Flip Johnson

Let's say for argument's sake that the Bills replaced Tyrod Taylor in 2017.

- Do any of Taylor's critics think that the Bills will score significantly MORE than 25.5 points per game in 2017?

- Does anyone think that the new offense will continue to have a historically low number of turnovers?

- Does anyone think we can subtract the NFL's best rushing QB and continue to lead the league in rushing?

- Does anyone think the Bills will continue to have a top-5 red zone offense?

I understand that people get tired of the 32nd ranked passing attack. What I haven't heard much about is what the Bills would lose if they gave up the unique asset that Taylor is. He is NOT a top notch pocket QB, probably never will be. But he is the point guard for a strange, versatile and PRODUCTIVE offense that takes such meticulous care of the football and is so hard to defend in the red zone that they can continue to punt 5-6 times a game and still put up 25+ points. Taylor's strengths (ball security, speed, deep passing, escapability) are essential to the offense being what it is.

I remember when Kyle Orton replaced Manuel and in his first start he threw for 308 yards against Detroit. Everyone loved it. The Bills scored 17 points that day. You can throw for a lot of yards in today's NFL and not be productive. Cousins threw for 449 on Thanksgiving and everyone is singing his praises. His team scored 26. Taylor got booed on Sunday and the Bills put up 28.

I am not against the development of a classic pocket passer. However, I think the Bills fan base seems unaware that most of what is strong about this Bills offense disappears if Taylor disappears.

Let's say for argument's sake that the Bills replaced Tyrod Taylor in 2017.

- Do any of Taylor's critics think that the Bills will score significantly MORE than 25.5 points per game in 2017?

- Does anyone think that the new offense will continue to have a historically low number of turnovers?

- Does anyone think we can subtract the NFL's best rushing QB and continue to lead the league in rushing?

- Does anyone think the Bills will continue to have a top-5 red zone offense?

I understand that people get tired of the 32nd ranked passing attack. What I haven't heard much about is what the Bills would lose if they gave up the unique asset that Taylor is. He is NOT a top notch pocket QB, probably never will be. But he is the point guard for a strange, versatile and PRODUCTIVE offense that takes such meticulous care of the football and is so hard to defend in the red zone that they can continue to punt 5-6 times a game and still put up 25+ points. Taylor's strengths (ball security, speed, deep passing, escapability) are essential to the offense being what it is.

I remember when Kyle Orton replaced Manuel and in his first start he threw for 308 yards against Detroit. Everyone loved it. The Bills scored 17 points that day. You can throw for a lot of yards in today's NFL and not be productive. Cousins threw for 449 on Thanksgiving and everyone is singing his praises. His team scored 26. Taylor got booed on Sunday and the Bills put up 28.

I am not against the development of a classic pocket passer. However, I think the Bills fan base seems unaware that most of what is strong about this Bills offense disappears if Taylor disappears.

Ok I will play.

25.5 points per game. Sure I think we will likely be the same because of how this team is built.

Yes I do think we will continue with the 2-1 TD to INT ratio because most QBs in the NFL with the way rules are anymore are there

Yes we still will be top 2 or 3 in rushing once you remove Taylor from the mix. Why without his numbers we still ranked No 2 in NFL last year. Look at the YPC or the backs we will be fine in terms of rushing without TT.

Now top 5 Redzone likely no it will dip most likely because of the Option. Being removed. However if you get a move QB like most are anymore you can keep the option in the playbook. But at the same time yes we would likely dip while the Rookie learns to throw in the super tight windows of the RedZone

I keep saying it.

Taylor is not a very good QB.

Taylor is an effective QB.

Taylor has a holding onto the football too long problem and is, more often than not, indecisive.

Taylor leads a fairly prolific, high scoring offense with the worst/most depleted WR corps in the NFL this season.

Everything I just said is indisputable.

Edited by metzelaars_lives