State of the ILB Position with Ragland Out

I think as long as Z. Brown and Spikes stay healthy, we'll be ok without Ragland. I'm way more concerned about Lawson & Lawson being hurt at this point.

But, I'n not an expert.

I have a ton more hope on Brown than Spikes. Because the legal issues, there's plenty of other reasons why he was out of the NFL.

He's a dinosaur in today's NFL. Brown at least fits the new LB mold.

@viccarucci

Taking nothing for granted: See what steps @PB_Number2 has taken to avoid being 'odd man out.' NEW at BN Blitz: https://t.co/RK1jDOqRC8

PITTSFORD -- There was nothing subtle about what the Buffalo Bills were saying to Preston Brown during the offseason about their desire to improve at inside linebacker.

It started when coach Rex Ryan called him out in the media for not being assertive enough in his signal-calling role and general on-field leadership.

Then, in early April, Doug Whaley signed veteran inside linebacker Zach Brown in free agency. And a month later, the general manager traded up to make the best inside linebacker in the draft, Alabama's Reggie Ragland, a second-round choice.

Preston Brown sized up the situation and concluded that keeping the starting job he has had since the Bills made him a third-round draft pick from Louisville in 2014 was hardly a given.