Do the Bills gamble and tag Jennings

Snorom

Another T, Diem form Indy is off the market. Jones and Pace are also off the market. Pace is a franchise player and could be dealt, but the Bills could possibly squeek out a 2nd or 3rd pick for the rights to JJ ?

It would put an immediate burden on the cap but might pay off iin the long run

Another T, Diem form Indy is off the market. Jones and Pace are also off the market. Pace is a franchise player and could be dealt, but the Bills could possibly squeek out a 2nd or 3rd pick for the rights to JJ ?

247897[/snapback]

I cant see why anyone his high on Jennings hes an inury prone offensive lineman that can be easily replaced. I would definately not tag him because it would cost us way to much in return thats why we are being smarter and trading our RB henry of a former 1st round at less money than what we would waste on jennings. If only there was a way to get rid of the money we are wastin on williams we would be in good shape.

247897[/snapback]

I've been suggesting this for a while now...The gamble is, no one bites, and The Bills end up with a MASSIVE one yr. Tender...But my feeling all along has been that at least one NFL Team will be willing to part with a #1 to get a 27 yr. old LT with 2 years under his belt as a Starter...The thing about the Tag is, like the Bills did with Peerless Price, you can negotiate a fair Deal...Maybe there is no Team willing to give up a #1 in 2005, but a 2nd or 3rd this Year, and a 1st next is always possibility. 27 year old Starting LT's usually do extreemly well on the Free Market, and I doubt Jonas will be the exception...

The Dealine is tomorrow, so I guess we'll know real soon... :(

But what would that cap hit be?

247927[/snapback]

if we franchise him probably around 7.5 mil

if we transition him probably around 6 mil, however I'm not sure if we have the transition tag. We signed Takeo from Cincy, and they put the transition tag on him.

I mean, on some level, franchising him and trading him for a 7th round pick in 2008 is better than just letting him walk (well, not exactly, we are due some compensation, but presuming that we sign sufficient talent to cancel that out).

But it's quite possible that nobody in the league is willing to suck down that kind of money for Jennings - certainly we aren't. He can happily sign his tender and then give us the finger.

PS I presume that the franchise-tagged tender offer is guaranteed money? We couldn't, say, franchise him, shop around, and then cut him with 0 paid?

I cant see why anyone his high on Jennings hes an inury prone offensive lineman that can be easily replaced. I would definately not tag him because it would cost us way to much in return thats why we are being smarter and trading our RB henry of a former 1st round at less money than what we would waste on jennings. If only there was a way to get rid of the money we are wastin on williams we would be in good shape.

247907[/snapback]

you don't easily replace quality starting LTs. Ask the Dolphins.

You can plug in Shelton, but he is not an adquate replacement for the production JJ provided.

unless JJ is smart and immediately accepts the $8 mil offer for 1 year.

248113[/snapback]

why would he do that when he can get 10-15M in signing bonus alone?

can you name a player who did sign their f-tag within the first week of free agency? i can't........you telling me jennings is going to be the first to do it, if tagged?

PS I presume that the franchise-tagged tender offer is guaranteed money?  We couldn't, say, franchise him, shop around, and then cut him with 0 paid?

247993[/snapback]

you sure can mike..........any time before he signs it you can lift the tag and let him walk for nothing.........

If we already have the trade for Shelton/Henry trade worked out, then I say let's Franchise JJ and try to get any kind of draft pick out of him.

JJ will get paid this offseason by some other team and hopefully we will trade him to them.

BUT to do this we need to communicate to Phat Pat that we want him to remain a Bill, but let us ship off JJ and then we can get Pat under contract.

That way we have flexiblity to sign other players (TE) if needed and get a draft pick out of it.

TD didn't do it with winfield (when he should have) and he won't do it with jennings either.........quite a waste........

248322[/snapback]

Problem in tagging him is the room it takes on your cap. If the other threads are correct about us being about $9M under, he would take up almost entire amount amount. Granted, as soon as you drop the tag, that money frees up. However, the first week or two is when the most action occurs, and this will somewhat limit what TD could do in the first week, IMHO only