(OT) The age old question of...

duey

Do you think that race car drivers are athletes?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that race car drivers are athletes?

• Yes
    • No
    • Couldn't care less. I don't even think its a sport.

A thing I thought about eariler. If NASCAR drivers are athletes based mainly on the endurance factor, what about drag racers? They are doing the same thing - driving a car fast (in this case ever faster) and competing for a prize, however, in this case, its only for a matter of seconds.

247501[/snapback]

If a guy makes 30k in 30 seconds trading on the internet verses the guy making 30k a year digging ditches. Which one worked? I think it is the same argument.

Work smart not hard?

Again, I just see the correlation between being a "worker" and the "athelete".

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse.

Does it require stamina?

We are starting to cross that line into poker and checker playing now Steve. Things are getting gray! :(

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a guy makes 30k in 30 seconds trading on the internet verses the guy making 30k a year digging ditches.  Which one worked?  I think it is the same argument.

Work smart not hard?

Again, I just see the correlation between being a "worker" and the "athelete".

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse.

Does it require stamina?

We are starting to cross that line into poker and checker playing now Steve.  Things are getting gray! :(

247508[/snapback]

I don't think there will ever be a clear cut answer to this, but it's fun to debate from time to time. Some could argue (with some validity) that right fielders aren't much of an athlete. I mean, say they get 1 ball hit to them and strike out twice, walk twice and pop out? They moved a total of what? 30 feet the whole game? That's not very athletic.

I don't think there will ever be a clear cut answer to this, but it's fun to debate from time to time. Some could argue (with some validity) that right fielders aren't much of an athlete. I mean, say they get 1 ball hit to them and strike out twice, walk twice and pop out? They moved a total of what? 30 feet the whole game? That's not very athletic.

247523[/snapback]

Exactly!

:(:(

Athletes do not use machines or motorized vehicles to accomplish the goals of their particular sport.  So bowlers are athletes and race car drivers are not.

247638[/snapback]

Valid point.

So a waterskier isn't an athlete?

What about extreme surfers? They need jetskis or boats to "tow-in" to the big wave. With out the mechanized vehicle, surfing huge waves would be impossible since they would never be able to "catch" up with it?

What about sky-divers? Free-fallers?

In rock climbing, only "free" climbing classifies you as an athelete? Okay, okay, ropes aren't machines, sorry.

???

Valid point.

So a waterskier isn't an athlete?

What about extreme surfers?  They need jetskis or boats to "tow-in" to the big wave.  With out the mechanized vehicle, surfing huge waves would be impossible since they would never be able to "catch" up with it?

What about sky-divers?  Free-fallers?

In rock climbing, only "free" climbing classifies you as an athelete?  Okay, okay, ropes aren't machines, sorry.

???

247655[/snapback]

Good point but those people use machines to get them to a place in order to perform their sport. A waterskier uses the boat to get enough velocity to perform. The driver of the boat is not an athlete but the person skiing is.