Shelton info from ESPN Insider

JP-era

Attempt to sign him??  What makes you think we haven't tried?  We know he was offered a contract before the season began, and I'll bet we approached his agent after the season.  Bottom line, JJ wants too much money and he ain't gonna be a Bill next year, so we've got to look at other options.

246160[/snapback]

I'm sure they've tried. But that doesn't mean I'd slam the door shut and pull the trigger on a trade out of desperation, either.

BTW, has it occurred to anyone that, given the fact that the Cardinals apparently have given Shelton permission to seek a trade, they may just release him if they can't get any trade offers?

Attempt to sign him??  What makes you think we haven't tried?  We know he was offered a contract before the season began, and I'll bet we approached his agent after the season.  Bottom line, JJ wants too much money and he ain't gonna be a Bill next year, so we've got to look at other options.

246160[/snapback]

what a load of crap......

if your going to speculate JJ "wants too much money", allow me to speculate that TD is lowballing him and won't put a fair offer on the table........i see that ryan diem is about to sign a long-term contract with indy......that is what happens when you pop 12-14M in signing bonus in front of a player.......when you offer half of that, of course the player won't sign........

I'm sure they've tried.  But that doesn't mean I'd slam the door shut and pull the trigger on a trade out of desperation,  either. 

BTW,  has it occurred to anyone that,  given the fact that the Cardinals apparently have given Shelton permission to seek a trade,  they may just release him if they can't get any trade offers?

246163[/snapback]

not going to happen -- there are too many teams interested and i think green learned his lesson after cutting kendall for nothing and then watching him play at an all-pro level for the jets.........

what a load of crap......

if your going to speculate JJ "wants too much money", allow me to speculate that TD is lowballing him and won't put a fair offer on the table........i see that ryan diem is about to sign a long-term contract with indy......that is what happens when you pop 12-14M in signing bonus in front of a player.......when you offer half of that, of course the player won't sign........

246164[/snapback]

ESPN--which probably is a bit more reliable than any of us here--has reported JJ is seeking a $10m signing bonus, which is too much money.

ESPN--which probably is a bit more reliable than any of us here--has reported JJ is seeking a $10m signing bonus, which is too much money.

246168[/snapback]

To much money for a quality LT to protect our young QB? I say sign the guy to a 5 year deal and get it over with.

246168[/snapback]

he'll be seeking more then that after diem inks his new deal.......

sorry man, 10M was MARKET VALUE......now it's more, and the bills have no one but themselves to blame for that because they should have had him locked up earlier......

To much money for a quality LT to protect our young QB? I say sign the guy to a 5 year deal and get it over with.

246172[/snapback]

agreed, that is fair compensation........others teams pay their best young players to stick around -- why can't we? or more importantly, why don't our fans want our GM to?

246168[/snapback]

Not necessarily. It depends upon the other terms he's seeking, particularly the yearly structure of the contract.

How much money do you expect TD to spend on the O-line

Tucker      700,000

Villarial    3,000,000 

teague      3,000,000

Williams    4,000,000 

plus Jennings at 7 million  come on make the trade and let the mouse do his  "magic"

246195[/snapback]

How much do I expect Donahoe to spend? Enough to get the job done and field a solid OL.

Perhaps we should rename this team the Buffalo Bean Counters?

not going to happen -- there are too many teams interested and i think green learned his lesson after cutting kendall for nothing and then watching him play at an all-pro level for the jets.........

246165[/snapback]

I don't think Denny Green has learned a thing from cutting Pete Kendall. He dumped an all-pro guard for non-football reasons. He is allowing one of his better remaining linmen to seek a trade without having a replacement in the fold. Tell me what exactly has Denny Green done to deserve a reputation for knowing what he's doing? He hasn't won anything and as I recall Minnesota blew up on him due in large part to the players he brought in. Randall Cunningham, Jeff George, Randy Moss, etc.

I'd trade Henry for Shelton because it's good value. In reality we MIGHT get a #2 pick for Henry. instead we'd be getting a player who is a proven commodity, granted he's not all-world but neither is Henry. both of those players have some warts. At an average of 3 million for 4 years we'd have a player who can play every line position but center who is young enough to still develop with good coaching (something I think we can all agree that AZ has lacked throughout this man's career). Swapping Henry for Shelton will basically cost us 2 million becuase Henry's salary will wash 1 million of Shelton's. What lineman in UFA can we get for 2 million who will be an upgrade at ANY position? We paid Villarial more than that last year so those who are dreaming of Marco Rivera at bargain rates should try again.

Acquiring Shelton for 2 million does not preclude the Bills from retaining Jennings. While I agree he is not a top 5 LT, he's in the top 10. He won't get Walter Jones/Orlando Pace money but he'll be cheaper than Tra Thomas (a flawed player in his own right) The question remains if we let JJ go, who can we get that's better and cheaper? I don't see anyone. Pay the man his money, even if it's 6 million. His cap number will be lower than that anyway. keeping him doesn't preclude us from doing anything, our options are still open in UFA. That puts a line of Jennings, Shelton, Teague, Villarial and Williams in front of Willis and JP. Someone else find me a better combination of players that we can put out there for less money and I'll bite. I just don't see it out there and regressig at OL is just not an option.