Shane Matthews

BillsNYC

I agree that it is apathy because even though he seems like a nice guy an has enough years in the league to have a good disaster QB resume, he does not have enough of a resume to seem to be a good #2 for us.

I think we want a #2 who has:

1. Seasoned nice guy who has proven he is a team player- Matthews seems to be OK here.

2. A QB who has been there before with a record of success leading a team to the playoffs and preferably the SB- Mathews does not seem to have this and this would particularly seem to be a useful thing in training a young QB.

3. A reasonable chance of leading the team to a few wins in a Frank Reich kind of way if the starter gets knocked out for a few games- I see no real proof that Matthews has what it takes here, but actually few back-up can prove this until they get the chance.  There are players like Hobert who have the physical tools but not the mental power to be a back-up.  There are players like AVP who can win games and be outstanding in mid-game relief, but if the other team and DBs get to look at a little film and prepare to exploit his weaknesses he can be had. There are perfect back-ups like Frank Reich who cannot only come in relief but actually are even better when they have a little time to prepare.  There are the Tom Bradys who should be starting.

4. Know there role and will not be a cancer when they do well snf have a #2 cap hit.

I have real doubts about Matthews for numbers 2 and 3.

The ironic thing here is that Bledsoe sucks as a #1 but actually has clear indicators that as far as #1, 2 and 3 he would have been the perfect back-up for JP.  Unfortunately his cap hit was too high and though he is unlikely to ever be a cancer he still sees himself as a starter and needed to be cut.

242792[/snapback]

I have to think that any "#2" qb who would want to ply his trade in this small market would be in his twilight, and is looking for some easy cash.

The Bills were fortunate to get Matthews, a decent workman-like qb without any outstanding warts.

Ultimately, the NFL is a business enterprise. There is no civil service, there is no tenure system that guarantees things, such as in academia, where esoterics can bandied because the bread is always on the table the next day regardless of the previous day's good thoughts or outrageous rants.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic