A Few Quick Points

R. Rich

*Did the season ever end?  I wonder.  I see a whole lot of the same issues from the season being passionately debated (seemingly non-stop) here.  The tone has gotten a bit more acerbic, but the content is much the same. 

I took a look at Harvey's post about the "clueless" Losman fans/bashers.  By the way, good post, Harv.  There was one in there I found that summed up the tone of the debate quite nicely:

You're onto something there, Nanker. 

**I've read a few different posts about what the Bills should do in free agency and the draft.  I'm sure a lot of you know that I think it's important to upgrade the offensive line.  That should be first and foremost.  I just hope this is the year we aggressively pursue this.  We haven't had a dominant OL here in Buffalo since we let Will Wolford and House Ballard go.  Which brings me to another point...

***Draft a kicker with our highest draft pick???  That just doesn't make sense to me.  I guess I could see it IF we were to go out and do something like:

1.  Sign Tra Thomas to play LT

2.  Sign a top LG prospect like Jermaine Mayberry or Marco Rivera

3.  Sign a good CB like Jason Craft, Aaron Beasley, or Gary Baxter to give us a solid nickel CB to help out against multiple WR sets

4.  Sign a pass rushing LB to either replace Posey or be a situational player

If we still have any of these issues going into the draft, selecting a kicker first would solve nothing.  After all, the 3 kickers who are arguably the best in the NFL-David Akers, Mike Vanderjagt, and Adam Vinatieri-were all UNDRAFTED!!!

****Happy birthday to Drew Blesoe.  I don't think he should be our starting QB, but he is a great guy and did have some success leading our team.

Happy birthday to Jim and Hunter Kelly.  Jim is the best QB we've ever had and a guy whose leadership we truly miss.  I hope both are well and enjoy thier day.

238261[/snapback]

I cant find the definite word on Tra, is he a UFA or not? I will start a post on this, hopefully someone will get the goods.

The only problem I have with your post is your assertion that we do not need a kicker.

We do, and badly. Who knows how much Rian Lindell's lack of accuracy has harmed this team?

If you have a kicker that can't nail a kick from 28 yards, that's bound to fork up a game plan.

The only problem I have with your post is your assertion that we do not need a kicker.

We do, and badly. Who knows how much Rian Lindell's lack of accuracy has harmed this team?

If you have a kicker that can't nail a kick from 28 yards, that's bound to fork up a game plan.

239563[/snapback]

Please point out where I said that we do not need a kicker.

Please point out where I said that we do not need a kicker.

239567[/snapback]

OK, let's try this again.

The only point I disagree with you on is the need to DRAFT a kicker.

When you've got a guy like Nugent coming out this year, you have to take a shot at him. After all, Janikowski's been pretty good for the Raiders, and Nugent, for all intents and purposes, looks to be a better kicker than even the Polish toe!

OK, let's try this again.

The only point I disagree with you on is the need to DRAFT a kicker.

When you've got a guy like Nugent coming out this year, you have to take a shot at him. After all, Janikowski's been pretty good for the Raiders, and Nugent, for all intents and purposes, looks to be a better kicker than even the Polish toe!

239627[/snapback]

Is Janikowski better than Akers, Vanderjagt, or Vinateri?

Is Janikowski better than Akers, Vanderjagt, or Vinateri?

239638[/snapback]

He's better than Vanderjagt for sure, possibly better than Akers, but no one's better at the position than Vinatieri.

And Nugent (please, any Chuckeye fans who want to chime in here) would seem to be better than all three of them.

That and he's 20-21, so you could lock him in long-term.

He's better than Vanderjagt for sure, possibly better than Akers, but no one's better at the position than Vinatieri.

And Nugent (please, any Chuckeye fans who want to chime in here) would seem to be better than all three of them.

That and he's 20-21, so you could lock him in long-term.

239641[/snapback]

As I said earlier, IF the Bills address the OL, pass rush, and additional CB issues BEFORE going into the draft and address them well, I could see using a pick on Nugent. BUT NOT IF THEY DON'T!!!!!

We can curse Lindell until we're blue in the face, but the fact remains that the ENTIRE TEAM had a meltdown in the Pittsburgh game. I can't blame Lindell for a 3rd string RB running all over us, nor can I blame him for our inability to stop a slot receiver on 3rd downs. I also can't blame Lindell for our defense playing lights out on 1st and 2nd downs, but giving up big 3rd downs due to a lack of a consistent, scary pass rush.

As I said earlier, IF the Bills address the OL, pass rush, and additional CB issues BEFORE going into the draft and address them well, I could see using a pick on Nugent.  BUT NOT IF THEY DON'T!!!!!

We can curse Lindell until we're blue in the face, but the fact remains that the ENTIRE TEAM had a meltdown in the Pittsburgh game.  I can't blame Lindell for a 3rd string RB running all over us, nor can I blame him for our inability to stop a slot receiver on 3rd downs.  I also can't blame Lindell for our defense playing lights out on 1st and 2nd downs, but giving up big 3rd downs due to a lack of a consistent, scary pass rush.

239650[/snapback]

Nooooo, you can't. But you CAN blame Lindell for missing a kick that would have put Pittsburgh in a bind. You can also blame Lindell for missing a kick in the Jaguars game that would have rendered That final game of the year meaningless.

Nooooo, you can't. But you CAN blame Lindell for missing a kick that would have put Pittsburgh in a bind. You can also blame Lindell for missing a kick in the Jaguars game that would have rendered That final game of the year meaningless.

239658[/snapback]

True, but then again, the same problem would arise when the Pittsburgh game came up. Against good teams, our weaknesses (lack of a pass rush, interior OL, 3rd corner) were exposed. If those weaknesses are not addressed, no kicker on the planet can compensate. Even if we were to squeak into the playoffs last year, with those weaknesses exposed we wouldn't be in the playoffs for long.

True, but then again, the same problem would arise when the Pittsburgh game came up.  Against good teams, our weaknesses (lack of a pass rush, interior OL, 3rd corner) were exposed.  If those weaknesses are not addressed, no kicker on the planet can compensate.  Even if we were to squeak into the playoffs last year, with those weaknesses exposed we wouldn't be in the playoffs for long.

239673[/snapback]

Granted. But do you relaly feel the rest of the team was that far away?

I think playing inferior opponents gave us a false sense of where this team was. Once we played a good team, as I said, our weaknesses were exposed-badly. I'll start to feel differently once we properly address the offensive line, the pass rush, and depth in the secondary. Once we target those areas, then I'll know we're heading in the right direction. If we don't, all that will happen is more of the same kind of hearbreak that we saw this year. Our defense is good enough to keep us in games so that we're not blown out, but with the shoddy OL and with Drew's suspect decision-making, we can't hold up in big games against good teams. How to fix that? Here's a few suggestions:

1. Give us a pass rush that will take this defense from a good one to a great one.

2. Give us a solid veteran corner who will give us the ability to match up against teams going to multiple WR sets.

3. Give us a LG who won't get pushed around and will not only protect the QB, but will knock guys on their a** in the running game.

4. Give us a LT who can stay healthy and be a dependable blind side protector for our QB.

If these things are done, I'll feel a whole lot better about next year. If not, it'll be like last year. After the draft, I was pleased that they got a good prospect in Evans, who turned out to have a very good rookie year. But, the offensive line wasn't addressed until the late rounds-again-and we suffered. If we were to draft Nugent early, passing up some quality guards and/or centers who could help us immediately, and then doing little or nothing in free agency for the OL, I could see a parrellel to last year. Nugent would be an upgrade, but the same fundamental problems (OL, pass rush, CB) would exist and the team would not improve.

I think playing inferior opponents gave us a false sense of where this team was. Once we played a good team, as I said, our weaknesses were exposed-badly. I'll start to feel differently once we properly address the offensive line, the pass rush, and depth in the secondary. Once we target those areas, then I'll know we're heading in the right direction. If we don't, all that will happen is more of the same kind of hearbreak that we saw this year. Our defense is good enough to keep us in games so that we're not blown out, but with the shoddy OL and with Drew's suspect decision-making, we can't hold up in big games against good teams.

Excellent quote Rich.