Why Roman's diverse offensive scheme has Bills thinking big

YoloinOhio

don't know where Trapasso's getting his info on what he's describing as 'package plays'.. they've been installed in various collegiate offenses over the years as 'play option pass', or 'pop' plays. in fact the diagram offered in the OP's link can be seen executed here - http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/5/6110155/pop-pass-seahawks-pete-carroll-auburn- in an article where Carrol gives credit to Auburn's Malzahn as it's creator.

i love this weapon, as it give the QB multiple run/ pass options, and referenced it often on the Wall.. the only concern is it's transformation from college to the pro game and the timing of the pass option read in connection with the blocking scheme of the called run - as downfield linemen will ruin it. but it's a perfect complement to IZ where D linemen will wash down the line.

in my included link you can watch Russell make the following reads:

1. DE washing down the line - Russell pulls ball back out of mesh with Lynch

2. scraping LB exchanging outside contain with DE - Russell looks for pass option

3. crashing CB - Russell hits unattended #83

cool stuff, right?

the OP's link gives a very good example of how Roman can beat you by formation, and understanding the defensive responsibilities

on that play

1. the DE properly reacts to RT's inside combo block and steps up to force contain Kaep on the keeper

2. the LB properly reacts to pulling LG as possible 'power' to his gap and breaks down to engage

3. DBs are in one-on-one with three receivers

the proper reactions of both the LB and DE left them no time to recover to defend the hand-off, and the three levels of defenders forced to shed blocks turns this into a punt return.

just to add a wrinkle..

Kaep probably would have gotten positive yards by cutting inside his LG's block.

and another wrinkle related to 'pop'..

if the flexed TE's defender aggressively attacks and makes a play here - the next time, the QB could pull up and hit the TE in the flat with the same two blockers upfield. just keep those linemen in their inside power schemes.

it's definitely gonna be fun to watch how Roman tinkers with all this.

yet another intriguing post with details.

Because Roman will be running the O and Rex knows his own strengths, this team is going to be fun to watch. More fun to watch how other teams defend the Bills.

One thing i did notice preseason was the O line's ones seemed in tune with one another. thats what i am going to watch mostly.

i think the play calling, and then pre snap movement ( adjustments ) are as interesting as the play in action. So unlike last season i am pretty stoked to see what this guy Greg does. each snap each set of downs each qtr each game depending on opponent.

ty

BItD