Should the Bills change up the game four drill?

Everyone knows how the fourth game of the preseason you rest your starters for fear of injury and to get them ready for the regular season, as well as to see which of your bubble and fringe guys should make it over others.

But we are in a weird situation with the QB, as well as the RB and WR injuries, combined with and made worse by having a whole new offense installed, which happens to be one of the most complicated in the league.

I'm not advocating this, and don't really know myself. But our backs who will be back, Freddy, Bryce, Boobie, should maybe get some time with decent blockers. Our WR who will be back Watkins, Woods, Harvin, may need some time with the whole offense. Our QB(s) may need some game time with the back and receivers and whole offense they weren't getting because of injury.

Is risking injury worth playing these guys for a few series against backups so they have spent more time together in the regular season?

Discuss.

Everyone knows how the fourth game of the preseason you rest your starters for fear of injury and to get them ready for the regular season, as well as to see which of your bubble and fringe guys should make it over others.

But we are in a weird situation with the QB, as well as the RB and WR injuries, combined with and made worse by having a whole new offense installed, which happens to be one of the most complicated in the league.

I'm not advocating this, and don't really know myself. But our backs who will be back, Freddy, Bryce, Boobie, should maybe get some time with decent blockers. Our WR who will be back Watkins, Woods, Harvin, may need some time with the whole offense. Our QB(s) may need some game time with the back and receivers and whole offense they weren't getting because of injury.

Is risking injury worth playing these guys for a few series against backups so they have spent more time together in the regular season?

Discuss.

I think you can get that time in practice with your own team. That way, you can manage the risk to players in light of specific injuries. You can't ask the Lions to take it easy on Harvin's hip or a running back's hammy, but you can demand that of your own players...especially scrubs.

Timing doesn't have to be perfected against starters. If that were the case, those unofficial summer qb/receiver camps wouldn't do much good.

I would give EJ the first half of action, after you pull the starters. Simms can run the second half. . I wouldn't be surprised if they come back with Cassel and give TT the day off in week 4. All he manages to do is risk life and limb every time the pocket collapses. If for no other reason, they should spare my heart the additional stress!

Seems to me that guys get hurt in practice as much as they do in the games.

True. Maybe we should never practice against us. Shoot. Now I'm conflicted. Let's run the starters for the whole game in game 4. Then give them the whole week off from practice. Perfect solution.. :)