Separation of Church and State in H.S.

I believe I mentioned before that my daughter attends the creative arts high school here in the city. It's a very good school and she likes it and gets good grades. There is a gospel choir at the school and also a bible study group (my daughter belongs to the latter).

Well anyway, both organizations were told that they would not be permitted to have their pictures taken for the yearbook. Why? Separation of church and state! I don't understand this. These groups both meet after school, they don't force anyone to belong. What harm could it do? If someone was offended by the pictures, they could just turn the page. I know some of her friends in the bible study group and they are good kids.

The teachers and administration at her school are very liberal and pride themselves on their openmindedness. There is a large percentage of openly gay students there. However, in this case, I don't think they're being very tolerant.

My daughter is disappointed and I am just wondering -- is this legal?

Does the school sanction or sponsor the groups, or do they just allow them to use the facilities, like the Boy Scouts? If it's not school sanctioned, then it shouldn't be in the yearbook. To allow it would open up the slippery slope of them having to include religious-based groups that others may find offensive. What if there was a Muslims Against U.S. Imperialism discussion group. Don't you think there'd be outrage if they were included? So to avoid such potential conflicts, all religious-based groups should be excluded. Whether it's legal would have to be decided in the courts, but I'd say it falls under seperation of church and state.

I would guess the school just allows them to use the facilities rather then being an actual school sponsored event.

Who cares anyway about the yearbook. Is she in the group so her picture is in a book or is she in the group because of her interest in the bible?

What if there was a Muslims Against U.S. Imperialism discussion group.  Don't you think there'd be outrage if they were included? 

235387[/snapback]

Nope I think they would be included in the first place.

A question I have when schools DON'T allow a religious group or class aren't they prohibiting the free expression of religion? Which is in the constitution unlike the “separation of church and state” thing?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

Nope I think they would be included in the first place.

A question I have when schools DON'T allow a religious group or class aren't they prohibiting the free expression of religion?  Which is in the constitution unlike the “separation of church and state” thing?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

235531[/snapback]

ding ding ding! We have a winner!!

Finally someone in this society that can read!

ding ding ding! We have a winner!!

Finally someone in this society that can read!

235718[/snapback]

Wait....you can proactice all you want...just not in public and in the privacy of your own home.

You know....like the Quakers back in England did.

Yes, or the Puritans or the anabaptists or the....

:ph34r:

235959[/snapback]

Anyone got a boat? There's gotta be SOME place on this God (whoops!) forsesaken Earth my family and I can go to freely practice our religion without fear of prosecution!