(OT) surround sound systems

ch19079

im lookin to buy a surround sound system. the problem is, i dont know jack about stereos or speakers..

ive looked around and i have found that most are simmilar. with price varying by watts.

ive seen 300 watt systems sell for $300, while 1000 watt systems for $175. (i guess thats a really crappy system)

so do yall have any advice on which brand to look for, (for example, sony....)

or how many watts is really needed without spending too much money. (too much money being, above $250, not including stands or wall braces.)

234591[/snapback]

I just bought new Klipsch speakers...I already had the receiver from before but the speakers are great. I had floor standing Polk which are good for listening to music real loud but with two little kids I can't do that much anymore...I like the smaller speakers with the sub. it makes it better, IMO for movies that you don't have the volume jacked way up to hear the dialog that the bass is too high, if that makes sense...BTW something I leared is when something is in Dolby 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 the .1 is the subwoofer there are signals being sent to the sub so if you don't have one you miss some sounds.

For $250...anything you get is gonna be el chepo...just take one of your CD's in, and see if you can listen to it, or buy it at a place with good return policy and see if you can return it.

If you move up in price, Yamaha makes nice amps. Good sound quality.

For a cheap setup surrounds, I usually recommend the Energy Take 5 setup. Best bang for the buck.

Bose suck. Stay away from them.

234725[/snapback]

Agree with Bose...they are good but probably the most overrated speakers out there, try and get the specs for them...

Will these receivers you mention handle video portion as well? My DirecTivo installer was talking about new Surround receivers that do Audio and Visual, routing from Tivo to dvd to receiver to TV. I need to get one, as my old surround Stereo system just doesnt cut it...

Will these receivers you mention handle video portion as well? My DirecTivo installer was talking about new Surround receivers that do Audio and Visual, routing from Tivo to dvd to receiver to TV. I need to get one, as my old surround Stereo system just doesnt cut it...

235156[/snapback]

Many do. My old Denon that I have doesn't do composite video, but does S-Vid and RCA. The new ones do composite...

im lookin to buy a surround sound system. the problem is, i dont know jack about stereos or speakers..

ive looked around and i have found that most are simmilar. with price varying by watts.

ive seen 300 watt systems sell for $300, while 1000 watt systems for $175. (i guess thats a really crappy system)

so do yall have any advice on which brand to look for, (for example, sony....)

or how many watts is really needed without spending too much money. (too much money being, above $250, not including stands or wall braces.)

234591[/snapback]

You want a surround system, including the sub and receiver, for $250? That's a tall order, bro. Assuming you could find a way to hold off a while and double your budget, here is my recommendation:

http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html