Cardinals | No Interest in Bledsoe - from www.KFFL

Cardinals | No Interest in Bledsoe - from www.KFFL.com

Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:01:48 -0800

The Arizona Republic reports the Arizona Cardinals would not be interested in QB Drew Bledsoe (Bills) should he be released by the Buffalo Bills this offseason. The Cardinals believe Bledsoe's best days are behind him.

If the Bills outright let him go, how many serious offers would he get to

compete for a starting job?

233001[/snapback]

Dallas would be it and only them because of Parcells' ego.

TD bought a white elephant a few years ago and he compounded his mistake by throwing good money after bad last season.

The horrible irony here is that because TD made the mistake of extending him the Bills will be in far better shape if he agrees now to restructure his deal to receive back-up level pay and have a back-up level cap hit than to see him be cut or traded and leave us with $4.3 million in deadspace plus whatever cap hit we need to take on to sign a credible back-up for JP.

Part of the reason I advocated saying bye-bye to Bledsoe last off-season was that even though the restructured deal made far more sense than the rediculous option of honoring his contract after a horrid 2003 season for Bledsoe, it still left us with an unacceptable cap hit for 2005 unless he totally revived his career.

I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement he showed over 2003 running the Clements O, but even with that improvement he still is inadequate as our starter and TD really had little choice but to ask him to take a back-up salary or to let him go.

The team will be far better off if Bledsoe agrees to a new deal as this would join with the Moulds restructuring to allow us to really play in the FA market (can you say Jones. Pace or Tra Thomas, or maybe Adam Vinateri as it would be worth the deadspace of a Lindell cut to get a stone-cold reliable place kicker and deal a blow to the Pats as well). Further, accepting a restructuring would be tangible proof that Bledsoe would be a teamer even if he were a back-up. Given that he did a great job in 2001 when he was forced to back-up second year pro Tom Brady, I a, very comfortable to have him back-up our second year pro JP.

It is looking more and more (AT said they are not interested in Bledsoe today) like there will not be a starter job out there for DB and if he realizes this as well, staying here as a back-up will at least give him a fair shot at winning the starter job and evn if he does, if he were to back-up JP and have JP perform as well as the second year player he backed up before he would almost certainly assure his slot in the HOF.

I doubt that Bledsoe will go for the TD deal but I hope he does because I think it is a key to the Bills competing in '05. Having the back-up for JP add $4.3 million deadspace plus his salary to our cap will make winning next year tough for us.

FFS- you are plagerizing me! This is what I have been saying (and posting) in almost every "lets cut Drew, and sign ______ (fill in the blank: Warner, Fiedler, Garcia, McNair, etc etc, you name it, JP-era, ajzepp, or AirBledsoe has advocted it)," even though none of these options makes a lick of sense for the Bills, or Bledsoe. Notice that we have heard nothing coming from TD? Only rumours...it was reported on FOX this week, that Bledsoe had not been asked to take a puycut as of yet...it could still happen, but I can almost guarantee it, he WILL take the paycut, and he WILL be on the Bills roster in 2005!