(OT) it's carolina v. duke week

eball

is it the heels or the devils?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. is it the heels or the devils?

• carolina
    • duke

As for whether this or that woulda happened, I can't help it if you're a cynical person by nature.  Personally, I choose to live life more positively and give others the benefit of the doubt, even complete strangers to me, and even if they're famous.

Your knowledge of this situations seems to come completely secondhand from other malicious Carolina fans obfuscating the truth, and not from the memory of someone who actually followed what happened.  Just so you know, Duke was 9-3 when K left (against a decent schedule), and considering that they had just made the championship game the season prior!, no one in their right mind expected that team to finish with a losing record.  Gaudet took a 9-3 team and went 4-15 with them.  No one had to "make him look like a fool."  That remains the only Duke team of the past 20 years that didn't make the tournament.

K meanwhile was hospitalized and immobile with back pain and exhaustion.  It was doctor's orders -- take a leave, or risk further dangerous deterioration of health.  But please continue to slander him.

I don't care who or what you respect or don't respect.  It's just that when I see lies (old lies) propagated about a man I DO respect, I feel the need to respond

BTW, notice how I've managed to keep Roy Williams out of the discussion.  Here's a man who you could say lied to an entire state four years ago.

Remember that day in Kansas, at that huge press conference at the football stadium where teary-eyed ol' Roy (who tends to be teary-eyed) promised the University and the State that he would stop the flirtations with UNC and remain a Jayhawk forever because Kansas was his family?  Remember?

Ooops.  Didn't quite work out that way.

If I were really cynical like you, I would even point out that he managed to stay at Kansas long enough just to see Hinrich and Collison through to graduation (and reap the Final Fours they brought) and then only jumped ship once UNC recruited the burgeoning and coveted athletic talents of Felton, McCants and May, giving him the most talented young team in the country at his disposal once he jumped.

But see, I didn't bring ol' Roy up.  I understand that sometimes people change their minds and while Roy did break a promise, he did not lie about his feelings that day (although I'd hate to try to convince a Kansan of that)

There, in a nutshell, is the difference between a typical Duke fan and a typical Carolina fan.  Duke fans remain classy even when discussing their rival while Carolina fans try to slander the rival's coach.

232156[/snapback]

You don't live in North Carolina do you??

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just curious to see how folks here view what many believe to be the "greatest rivalry in college sports."

my loyalties are obvious; what do you think and/or anyone have a carolina/duke memory to share?

230565[/snapback]

According to a thread I read earlier you are not allowed to route for either team unless you can name two players on the current roster. You must also write a short essay as to why they are "your team". Otherwise you are nothing more than a bandwagoner.